PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rubin150

Lurker
Sep 28, 2013
Hello guys.

I'm a new pipe smoker (used to smoke cigarettes before) and im looking for a tobacco that will fit for me.

ive read a lot and found out there are so many options and i think hearing peoples experience is the best way to know what i might like and what to not try.
so first, i read that there are low nicotine-high sugar tobaccos, and high nicotine-low sugar onces.

does that mean (also) that the high sugar tobacco is sweeter? (anyways i prefer lower nicotine tobacco)
and second, ive read people separate it to aromatic (flavor's and stuff added) and non-aromatic (cutted natural tobacco leaves onlu). are there any non-aromatic that have some sweet taste?
so far ive tried mac baren-original choice (really didnt like. bitten my tongue so much i couldnt smoke it. also the taste for yakkhh for me).

and now i smoke (a week already) the samuel gawith - grousemoon (aromatic tobacco). which i like (well its much better that the mac baren i tried, and it has a good taste as well :)) but i look for something sweeter..
so, any suggestions?

piperl12

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2012
I can't add anything to what Rothnh said. But welcome to the forum glad to have you.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Welcome to the forum, rubin. The only things I xcan add t what roth wrote is if you are lucky enough to be near a real B&M ask the owner and the regular pipe smokers there all the questions you want. Pipes are always happy to impart advice and, most of the time, it is good advice. Spend a lot of time here; afetr all, we do.

It looks like you started with some quality blends but may not have been ready to enjoy them to the fullest. It's OK to back off a bit and perfect your packing and smoking skills. 1Q is the perfect blend with which to start and every B&M in America carries ir, albeit under their own names. They'll know what you want if you ask for 1Q so don't be shy.

Good luck with your pipe adventures and keep us posted on your progress.

wnghanglow

Mar 25, 2012
Best advice I can give you *that Roth hasn't already said* is call one of our site sponsors, tell them what your looking for, they will give expert advice. Also buy a sampler pack and try to hit all the major genres such as English, aromatics, burley, and virginas. Welcome to the forum! :)

wilson

Apr 17, 2013
Welcome Rubin. The only thing I'd add is that you put your MacBaren in a mason jar and come back to it after you've experimented with a few things (Roth's suggestions are always good). Tastes change, and with pipe smoking sometimes pretty quickly. In a month or two or three you might find it more to your liking. There are a number of tobaccos that did not "wow" me when I first tried them and now I smoke them pretty regularly.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I'd have to disagree with Roth's 1-Q suggestion. That's a full aromatic. Granted, it's the single most popular one out there; but buy a ounce -- I'll wager it disappoints a cigarette smoker making the transition. The light aro's among the blends listed below are Danish style, and not chemical tasting like 1-Q.
  • Newminster: No.81 Denmark Pipe Cut -- This light aromatic, with it's natural Virginia sweetness is a mild smoke.
    Newminster: No.84 Oriental Pipe Cut -- Light aromatic taste with hints of gentle oriental spice, added by the mild and sweet Turkish tobaccos, compliment the ripe Virginias from the best areas in Africa.
    Sutliff (Altadis): 507C Virginia Slices -- A flue-cured Virginia flake with a light aromatic topping, blended to provide a mild and smooth, easy smoke with an extra bit of fragrance and flavor. Rub it out for more of a cigarette-like taste.
    Cornell & Diehl: Burley Flake #1 -- A blend of dark Burley and red Virginia with just a splash of Perique.
    Cornell & Diehl: Burley Flake #2 -- A blend of Dark and White Burleys with red Virginia for a touch of sweetness.
    Germain: Royal Jersey: Perique Mixture -- You'll think you're smoking a ultra high class cigarette, and the sweetness is more subtle and sophisticated, and vegetable-like. Good choice for a transition smoker.
    Hearth and Home: LJ Heart Burley -- Nice Burley flavor with delectable, but not sugary sweetness. Great for after dinner. Cigar-like body.
    Mac Baren: Norwood -- An easy burning, ready-rubbed Burley and Virginia blend. Another good after dinner smoke.
    Mac Baren: Burley: London Blend -- Very popular Burley with good cased sweetness.
    Daughters & Ryan: SJ Rimboché -- good transition smoke. High quality but somewhat more cigarette-like than you'll be smoking 2yrs. from now.
    Stokkebye: Luxury Bullseye Flake -- A delightful blend of Virginias and Perique, with a touch of black cavendish. Fun to play with:

fold & stuff; cut up; crush'n'stuff; or rub it out, keeping the cavendish center intact for layering and getting a sweet blast during the smoke.
    Peterson: University Flake -- Mahogany, Burley & Kentucky with a delightful yet restrained berry-like flavor. Good sweet taste.
    Low Country Tobacco: Santee -- sweet-ish Virginia with apple flavor: natural tobacco smokers will enjoy this light aro.
    Rattray's: Brown Clunee -- Dark in color, with Flue cured Virginias, but mild to medium in flavor is the best way to describe this blend. What we wish to convey to the reader that it is gentle to the palate. I saved the best for last!
Well, that's enough of my opinion. There's only 1000 more candidates for you to sample. Have a nice journey! :puffy:

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
Welcome to the forums, be ready for information overload. I have to go with Cortez on the 1Q. From what you've said it's one of those aromatics with a lot of topping (stuff added). If you have a B&M near by and can talk with a person who knows something about pipe tobacco is your best bet. Many shops are cigar shops and if your talking to just a cash register person ask when the person who deals with the pipe tobacco will be in.
Honestly you'll get the best suggestions here. Post what you thought about certain blends and you'll get list of what to try next.
Craig

sfsteves

Lifer
Aug 3, 2013
SF Bay Area
everyone here has an opinion and is willing to give it to you ... problem is, you don't know how their taste aligns with yours, so it may be the best advise you'll ever get or, it might not be all that good, depending on YOUR taste ... the opinions each of us have formed are right FOR US, but without sampling various of the suggestions, you can't tell whether those suggestions are right for you ...
you really do need to sample a wide variety in small doses ... make notes so that you will be able to remember which ones you liked and just as importantly, which ones you did not ... in doing so, you'll be better able to learn which of us is suggesting things you seem to like and which of us simply has different taste than you do.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
So, popularity and consensus should not influence the OP's choices.

In fact, he should never have asked for suggestions in the first place. 8O
In answering the post, I was merely hoping to guide the OP.

The last line of my post suggests sampling as much as possible too.

eazye77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 21, 2012
Nsfisher is right!
I would agree with the Carter Hall. Nice everyday smoke that is good for new smokers.
IMO I would stay away from MacBaren until you become more seasoned. I started off with MacBaren 7seas and it kicked my butt. My mouth had tongue bite for days, but I stuck with it because I really wanted to be a pipe smoker. So I am not surprised at what happen to you.
Stick with it. Soon you will find your groove when it come to the tobacco's that suite your taste.
BTW, WELCOME TO THE FAMILY!!!! :clap:

Status
Not open for further replies.