PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Just to make Jay nuts, here's the second Nording Woodcock billiard I got from Poland. Along with the big billiard on the left, these three make up my Hunter's Trio, and they are all excellent smokers. Except for the Valhala line, I wonder why Erik doesn't make more of them, they are so damn good. Enjoy, Jay! And everyone else, be sure to make comments for Jay's attention! (I've also added some baccys recommended to me a couple of weeks ago.)

img_1734-600x509.jpg

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Fred, you are terrible. :rofl: I really like those! Seems like you've been bitten by a shape bug like I have. :mrgreen:

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Yeah, chasing, after an experimental period, I found, with the occassional exception of a Nording Dublin or Freehand, I am really stuck on the classic billiard. Still wish I could get a Nording billiard like this one, but it was just too small. If anyone sees a larger one, let me know, would ya?

pm-p174944png.jpg

Jan 8, 2013
What's wrong with their Valhalla line?
I think he was just stating that with the exception of the Valhalla line you don't see many Nording billiards.
That's a lovely trio of Nordings, Sparrowhawk. :clap:

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
Interesting pipes. But, when I read the title, I mis-read it as 'woodstock' and thought of this guy... not sure if Woodstock ever smoked a pipe though.
210421c2b4258e8520919deb20885a70--smoking-images-peanuts-quotes.jpg

Nording's billiards, and really many of the Danish billiards appealed to me early on, because of the weird transitions along the stem. They were different, not really the classic shape. The Briary has quite a few on the under 100$ rack. He did quite a few 20 years ago, before he stopped running his own factory and started outsourcing his work to Poland. It's just too expensive to run a factory there (even Stanwell started outsourcing), and if you want to know for sure, ask him. I've had the pleasure of spending time with him twice at The Briary, great guy.
But, as far as I know, all of them are .75" bowl diameters. They are in the smallish range. But, Stanwell and a few other Danish billiard designs from the 80's to 00's with the same quirky stemwork are drilled much larger. I'd suggest searching eBay for "Danish Billiards."

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I should address the Valhalla pipes. It's a personal thing. The pipes of this line have a shrinking rim diameter compared to the rest of the chamber, and for some reason I can't get into this style. Hence, however irrational, comes my distaste for the Valhalla line.

Status
Not open for further replies.