PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

msandoval858

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
I recently was forced to take some time away from smoking, much to my disapproval. Nature played a cruel joke on me and gifted me with a case of Bell's Palsy. Not a whole lot of fun to say the least.
Unfortunately, the inability to blink my right eye properly made it rather sensitive and the few times I tried to smoke a pipe, it turned out to be rather uncomfortable with the irritation. The good news is, it's just about gone and time to fire up a briar soon! So, I'm done missing pipe club meetings and ready to jump back in the hobby!
Question is now, what to smoke first?

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Good news that that the symptoms have passed, Mike. I'm happy to hear that. What to smoke first? Either a tried-and-true favorite, like Mixture 79, or something new and exciting, like Prince Alberto Linguini and Clam Cavendish!

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Mike ... glad that cleared up!
If it had been a whole month for me I'd start with my favorite ... what's yours? :puffy:

msandoval858

Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
I'm a big fan of heavy flakes and nic bombs, but I'm thinking that firing up some Irish Flake or Old Joe Krantz might be a bit much.
Might be a good time to break out one of the Frog Mortons!

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Wow MIke! I had Bells Palsy back in the early 70s. Yeah, I thought I was having a stroke! I went to the doctor, and he set me straight, but this virus that causes it is no laughing matter. Mine went away within a couple of months, but it was scary. This can last much, much longer. Yeah, drooping eye, and mouth, the numbness, is all a little disconcerting. My ex-wife thought it was rather funny, thus the EX-wife, but I was concerned anyway. My current sister in law got it 20 years ago, and still suffers some side effects from it.
Glad to hear you're recovering ok, and can now smoke again. Take it easy until you're sure your all ok. :puffy:

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Glad you're back on deck! I have put it aside for almost a month, first bowl yesterday. (hosp.stay) it was Comoy's Cask 11, a favorite.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
God Bless it's getting better. Not a good time! Smoke something you really love and savor it...

thefalcon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 23, 2012
Glad your doing better with this condition man, I'm with Cob, It would definitely be my favorite tobacco. That's easy for me, I only smoke one kind! Glad your better!
Cheers,--Eric

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I hope everything continues with good health. Glad you took a needed health break. Have some great bowls now that you can.

fmgee

Sep 26, 2014
Glad to hear you are improving Mike. Whatever you choose to load in your bowl I hope it is a slow enjoyable smoke.

Mar 1, 2014
I had a bunch of teeth pulled last month (just the wisdom teeth, I finally decided to get my chompers lined up straight) and between that and the liners I need to wear I've only had two bowls since the beginning of June.
My last bowl was Deception Pass, good stuff. Reminds me of Sutliff Elizabethan Match, which was very flavourful.
Get well soon and enjoy the next smoke.

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
I'm sorry for the recent run of bad luck, but it sounds like there is a light at the end of the tunnel, which i am glad to hear. I have always enjoyed your posts/presence here on the forums and look forward to many more.
In terms of what to smoke? Easy choice in Irish Flake, it is one of my all time favorites and i am in fact smoking some right now. Just go slow and puff lightly and you will be fine my friend. Can't go wrong with OJK either, i have to re-up on that blend myself as i am out, so thanks for the reminder! Cheers to a complete recovery!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Glad to hear you are on the mend. Each of us has a go to when we can't decide what to smoke. I say grab that one and enjoy.

msandoval858

Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
Thanks for all the well wishes. Today is shaping up to be a nice lazy Sunday so hopefully I can kick back and fire up a bowl to enjoy. Already pulled my favorite Castello out of the rack and have it here on my desk ready to go :)

Status
Not open for further replies.