Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
For the longest time I have been searching for that perfect way to transport my tobacco. I tried pouches, tins, containers of different sizes but all of them had some issue making them less the ideal. Last week I was in a sporting good store and saw something new and I thought I'd give it a shot. It is a product called a GoTubb made by a company called humangear and it is a one hand opening container about the size of a hockey puck...... for our southern hockey illiterate friends its a round container just under 3" in diameter and about 1" high. They come in a three pack of different colors or all black for about $8 on their website.

http://www.humangear.com/gotubb/

D7CFAC50-F1D8-4EE8-B6C2-5AEBE41FDD88_zpsjd6tlxqc.jpg

I've been using them for about a week now and have them labeled "VaPer", "Red Cake", and "Flake" (I'm pretty sure most of you will know what I'm smoking lol) and I have found that they work great. They don't have an airtight seal but they hold the tobacco's moisture about as good as the Peterson leather pouch I was using before. I have been carrying tobacco in they for a week now and it hasn't dried out yet. Each one will hold about an ounce, maybe a bit more depending on the cut, of tobacco or about 3 to 4 group 3 bowlfuls and one of them fits easily into your jacket pocket without being to bulky. They do one onehanded and have a nice flat bottom for easy sitting while filling your pipe. So if your looking for a carry method and pouches aren't for you them maybe give them a try.

DEA4A189-D903-44DA-8182-BC9FED99DCD1_zpsbt7gkmn1.jpg

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
I tried plastic a couple of years ago to store my camping tobacco. I wasn't really happy with it. It was probably my imagination, but it seemed to impart a "taste" to the tobacco. Currently I'm using metal tins I bought on Amazon. I'll tell you how I like it next fall.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
It was probably my imagination, but it seemed to impart a "taste" to the tobacco

I haven't noticed any imparted tastes but I also have a fairly poor sense of taste. If any comes about I'll be sure to pass it on. Please do let us know how the metal tins work.

The free ions in plastic have been linked to cancer.

They're 100% BPA-free, PC-free, and phthalate-free and if I was really that scared of cancer I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be smoking to begin with. lol :puffy:

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Wasn't someone making new baccyflaps? Maybe I dreamed that. These little containers are cool, I'm going to order some. What makes the baccyflap unique, though, are the tapered edges. They slide in and out of your pocket easier.
"They're 100% BPA-free, PC-free, and phthalate-free and if I was really that scared of cancer I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be smoking to begin with. lol "
LOL indeed!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Southern hockey illiterate friends? Okay, quick, who won the Stanley Cup in 2006?

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
Okay, quick, who won the Stanley Cup in 2006

21 Canadians, 2 Russians and a Swed? Hell even right now there are only 6 Americans on the team. lol

6 Americans, 10 Canadians, 2 Russians, 2 Czechs, 2 Sweds, and a lonely Finn. The goalie is even a good Saskatchewan boy!!! My buddy in Texas tried making the same argument when Dallas won the cup in 1999. :rofl:

7ach

Can't Leave
Sep 10, 2013
Hey woodsroad, if you do pick them up be sure to show them off at morelys.

shanelktown

Lifer
Feb 10, 2015
hmm had to post this Canada has not won a Stanley cup since 1993.... Be it they did win the last two Olympic gold medals.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
hmm had to post this Canada has not won a Stanley cup since 1993.... Be it they did win the last two Olympic gold medals.

Looking back at over 90 years of NHL history, the league has evolved from having an almost exclusively Canadian player base, 90%, to a highly diverse league with player nationalities ranging from Canada to Japan.

After the 1970s, the Canadian dominance gradually diminished as players from the United States, Sweden and Finland began to find their way to the NHL in greater numbers. By the end of the 1980s, the share of Canadians in the league had dropped to approximately 75% and hovers now around the 50% mark.

Percentage of American players has risen considerably during the last decade. At the beginning of Millennium the share of players from United States was 15%. Ten years later it has increased to almost 25%.

shanelktown

Lifer
Feb 10, 2015
Very true it is a game that has grown in popularity for sure. I'm going to guess you are from canada blueeyedogre?

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
Yeah, I'm a Saskatchewan boy, born and raised. My dad pretty much had me on skates as soon as I could walk. lol

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
These might also be an alternative to the old Baccyflap. They might even be better in terms of durability and ease of cleaning.
This one would be good for bulkier blends:
http://www.buysnus.com/snusbrand/Icetool_Snus_Box_Loose_snus_Stainless_steel.aspx
This one would be good for flakes:
http://www.buysnus.com/snusbrand/Icetool_Slim_Can_for_portion_snus_-_black.aspx
I had never thought about using these for anything but snus. I have one of each, so I may give them a try with pipe tobacco. They both do an excellent job of keeping snus moist, so they should work well for a pipe smoker's purposes.
Disclaimer: I cannot remember where I bought mine, but I am sure I did not buy from this retailer.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
I like these stainless steel containers that have a seal.
http://www.amazon.com/LunchBots-Proof-Condiment-Containers-1-5-Ounce/dp/B008AZ0RPU/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1426709168&sr=8-3&keywords=small+stainless+steel+containers

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
Buroak,

I like the look of those tins, I wish the site had a few more pics of them. Having a waterproof aluminum tin would be great for camping and fishing trips, I'm always scared I'm gonna end up getting my tobacco wet.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
Blueeyedogre, Both are great tins. I am glad you started this thread; the idea of using my old snus tins for pipe tobacco might never have occurred to me. Do you want pictures of both tins or just one in particular? I can photograph mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.