PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I picked up these two fellows on Ebay courtesy of 'Bonehead' who kindly alerted me to these pipes going up for sale earlier last week. They are both in great order and just need a good scraping and a gentle clean and then they can be pressed into rotation. The six inch 'cutty' is the fourth one I have purchased in the last few months whilst the nine inch was has been shortened by about an inch sometimes during its life which makes it also very usable. The first of these was made by a Belgium carver in the late 19th century and has been well looked after. The shorter of the two has been hardly smoked as the shank has not yet colored and is probably the product of a Parisian pipe carver. The cases are in very good order with no missing hinges. The tenions are all sound and neither of the pipes has suffered from damage to the threads which is a perennial problem with pipes of this age. The shorter of the two will need a new stem at some stage due to tooth wear on the button but is certainly serviceable for the time being. Anyway enjoy and Merry Xmas folks!
24_dec_2015_02_zpsvoymwjcr.jpg

24_dec_2015_04_zpsu0bw1c5y.jpg

lawmax3

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2013
Congrats condorlover1

I looked at these pipes when they came up for auction and had a really tough time talking myself out of bidding on them. I had already spent too much on Christmas for my family and myself.

I am very glad to see that you got them. They look like great pipes.

Merry Christmas.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I must say I am very pleased with them. I will review them on my blog 'all things cutty' in due course since I must have the largest collection of these style pipes in North America!

kenbarnes

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2015
Can anyone give me information of when Ludwig Hartmann's factory closed?

I have a most beautiful cutty in mint condition and want to try and date it roughly?

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I know lots about him and his factory and if you PM I will dig out everything I have on him and send it to you upon my return from my business trip. You have a very nice 6 1/2" 'cutty' pipe with an amber-ine stem from the early 1900's. I have several of these from this maker and they are extremely good work horse pipes, although you have to be careful of the shanks on his pipes as the Vienna pipe makers favored thin stems with very fine threading for the bone connector between the stem and the shank.

Status
Not open for further replies.