PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

castellarius

Might Stick Around
Oct 20, 2013
Ok...so here is the story. Sometimes ago I purchased a pipe that I really loved. It's a square panel that I really really loved for the shape and the elegant dark somehow reddish finish.
Now...I would like to ask you to guess who crafted it: what pipe is this ?

I intentionally covered the stamping on the shank in photoshop so you can see the pipe and take your guess. I'm asking this because I have an idea...but before sharing this with you I'd like to know what you guys think.
So here is the pic of my square panel:

g8mt.jpg

Tell me what you think please gentlemen :)
Edit: Corrected capitalization in title per Rule #9. L.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
comparison-vi.jpg

Here is the pipe that castellarius has, superimposed over my pipe. If you account for the slight difference in the photo perspective (horizontal angle), they are an exact match.
So, now I'm really curious.

castellarius

Might Stick Around
Oct 20, 2013
Uhm...up to now not guessed yet.
But somehow you are confirming my idea..somehow... Tomorrow I'll solve the riddle and explain you why....we were talking with another fine pipes collector few days ago and....I'll explain this later on :)
@woodsroad: now this is incredible, almost perfect match and mine is not coming from the same producer as yours...and mine is very recent...intriguing...

castellarius

Might Stick Around
Oct 20, 2013
Stig......nope :)
(ohh come one please tell who is really hidden under the mask of The Stig !! :D Nobody will know :D)

castellarius

Might Stick Around
Oct 20, 2013
Uhm...guys you have somehow confirmed my theory. Somehow. Thank you for trying !
I'll solve the riddle.

A few weeks ago I was talking with a fine pipe collector of Milano. We were discussing the high prices of new Dunhill pipes and if they were somehow justified by a far superior quality of the pipes.
My point is that the high prices are excessive. You pay the brand, not a superior quality.

Of course Dunhill ARE very high quality, but you can find the same quality for far less.
So I choosed a shape where Dunhill excels, the square panel...and bought another manufacturer pipe with that shape to compare.
The pipe you see is a Savinelli Punto Oro, about 240 usd....to me, it is on par with a Dunhill Chestnut/Bruyere...

High quality briar, nice grain, excellent finish, great smoker. At about half the price...
v21s.jpg

The shape is 502
jl71.jpg

lqjones

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 8, 2013
I was going to say Saseini, but obviously wrong. That's as beautiful as any Dunhill. Congrats, very nice pipe. Love the shape, the grain and the finish. Definitley a winner.

castellarius

Might Stick Around
Oct 20, 2013
Thanks Iqjones :)
Unfortunately that shape wasn't available in the line Giubileo D'oro,a little better quality than Punto Oro. Usually the Giubileo D'oro are perfect pipes, no defects at all as small as they could be. So they are more difficult to have than Punto Oro.

They had a few in the Savinelli's shop but couldn't find that shape that I wanted badly :)
Oh the Punto Oro of actual production come with two stems, one in ebonite and one in methacrylate in a nice luxurious blue box :)

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
You told us too quickly, I was definitely going to say Savinelli, yeah that's the ticket, Savinelli. Morgan Fairchild, yeah I did her. John Lovat is my hero. lol
That is a a great looking classic pipe, I honestly would have guessed a British made pipe like a Dunhill Bruyere.

castellarius

Might Stick Around
Oct 20, 2013
eheheh Well , I'm happy to see that many members would have thought to a Dunhill, this somehow makes me think...
I've seen a wonderful billard chestnut by Dunhill new and boxed for around 500 euros and they told me it was a good price...to me it was expensive :)
@Woodsroad : eheheh don't tell it to someone who just paid 600 usd for a dunhill :)

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I still want a nice Dunhill, Castellarius.

Their pipes have a form, flow and function that is classic.
OK, I resolve: No more cheap pipes for me. I'm saving for an estate Dunhill.

Status
Not open for further replies.