PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
For Tobac-Manil Semois fans, this is a one-of-a-kind burley variant from Belgium. Many can take it or leave it, and it prompts others to throw up. But if you like burley, and appreciate a distinctive version of burley, this may be the leaf for you. It is not a blend, strictly speaking, but just one kind of leaf. It comes in a small brick-shaped foil package and is shipped very dry, and smells stable-like. I leave mine in the foil but also put it in a jar large enough for two packages. Because it is so dry, by weight it represents much more tobacco and many more smokes than it would appear. I find the best pipes for Semois are standard width chambers around .77 inches but quite deep, approaching or at 2 inches. It burns fairly fast but burns best not packed too tightly. It has some nicotine, but I don't smoke it for that and don't find it challenging in that way -- no head spinning. It's subtle and yet strong and has a quiet complexity that I find truly satisfying. It comes in two cuts, thick and medium. Some find medium a bit stronger, but I find them quite similar. Despite its strength, I get no bite at all. If you enjoy it, it climbs promptly into the favorite category. Thank you to the Forums member who sent me a sample, and to another who sent me nearly all of a package, another tin of Frog Cellar, and a beautiful pipe -- what a day that was. Semois, if you like it, is lovely stuff.

stoker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 19, 2014
Thanks to Tom for sending me a nice size sample, I ended up falling in love with the stuff. I've been smoking it in a dagner cob, I may pick up a general or even a macAthur and dedicate it to semios. Amazing how its one leaf, bone dry but complex and holds my attention the entire smoke.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Cobguy sent me a sample recently, he was also very generous and he sent me several samples of aged plugs and a homemade blend! Thanks again Darin! The Semois is definitely growing on me and right now as I'm smoking Royal Yacht I think it would be excellent blended 50/50 with Semois. I think this stuff could be a lot of fun to experiment with and, of course, it's just fine by itself.

Does anyone have any experience with rehydrating this stuff? It burns s little faster than I would like and I think one could tame it with a bit of moisture.

jitterbugdude

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2014
Does anyone have any experience with rehydrating this stuff
I bought 4 bricks awhile back. I spritzed all of the Semois with water before sealing in mason jars. It is my belief that the idea that it is "supposed to be smoked dry" is just a marketing ploy. My reason(s) for this are: It is packed in a paper wrapper so of course it is going to arrive dry. Instead of spending extra money on tinning the tobacco at the correct moisture level it is much easier and cheaper to advertise it as .. "supposed to be smoked dry".
I don't recall the exact moisture level I hydrated it to but I think it was about 12% moisture and yes it smokes much nicer.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Hmmm... has anyone actually weighed the 100g when they got it? I'm wondering if they pack it while it's still hydrated and it dries out on the shelves or in transit? If that's the case it would weigh significantly less than 100 grams. If they do indeed package it while it's dry than we are getting an extra bang for our buck.

danhester

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 17, 2016
Semois is rad. It seems like a throwback to older tobaccos that people prepared multiple ways depending on their preference. In addition to the "thick cut" and bouchons for pipes, they also sell a finer, shag cut that may be better for handrolling cigarettes. I understand they even make cigars with it. I'm smoking a semois cigarette right now, in fact. I also smoke it in a pipe regularly, and it's excellent either way. I've used it to break in pipes, because it burns dry, evenly, and without a lot of added flavoring or humectants.
It has a earthy, cigar-like taste that I like. It reminds me of the tobacco used in Cuban cigarettes.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I enjoy it dry. It smokes a little fast, but in a deep bowl, it burns long enough. I think the dryness keeps it lit and brings up an aspect of the burley variant that wouldn't shine if it were slightly more moist. But I am a Semois believer. Some might find the re-hydrated version more to their liking. It's not like 965 or Billy Budd, but it is its own special leaf.

Status
Not open for further replies.