PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
The problem with carving classic shapes is finding great examples to work from. Fortunately, Harris seems seems to have a limitless supply of word-class pipes that he doesn't mind lending me. This particular one was by Tonni Nielsen- I actually took just the drilling angles and the bottom curve from the shape and carved an apple- Came in at around 48 grams....Really enjoyed working with the new Chocolate, Cumberland and Black stem material from SEM on this one...

9ictnr.jpg

2ebftkp.jpg

metarzan

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 14, 2012
The proportions are perfect. The colors match perfect. The blast is perfect. Great job!

May 31, 2012
8O :!: 8O :!: 8O :!: 8O :!: 8O

:!: 8O :!: 8O :!: 8O :!: 8O :!:
Makes my panties moist!
Masterful.
Exquisite fine blast, beautiful staining, on point proportions, perfect shaping,

and the gentle sloping bend on the stem is so damn elegant!
All aces top boss!

:puffy:

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Thanks guys!...Time to start working on my carving competition pipe for the KC show...It's a straight billiard this year- kinda thinking about a Dunhill style billiard with an amber inlay on stem- Hope I can pull off a good one...

May 31, 2012
Time to start working on my carving competition pipe for the KC show...It's a straight billiard this year- kinda thinking about a Dunhill style billiard with an amber inlay on stem- Hope I can pull off a good one...
No doubt you'll pull off a good one!
Maybe go with a chubby style 127, maybe a bit nosewarmer, GLP is one 'o da judges y'know :wink:
Seriously, amber inlay on the stem sounds awesome.
I can't wait to see all the entries for this contest,

I need to buy a few dam'd raffle tickets,

I wish I could actually attend though!

:crying:

I'm just glad P&T magazine always publishes the whole shootin' match,

my fave issues are the KC pipe-carving contests...
Knock it outta the park!

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I was at Zack's last night for a barbecue when he showed me this pipe. I was totally blown away at how well it turned out. It is as good looking as any Rad or other great artisan pipes I own. The shaping is spot on and the blast is incredible. The stem work is also extremely well done. I predict within a year or two Zack is going to be a serious name in pipes. This apple he did is really top of the line work. I could not find one thing wrong with it. The drilling was spot on and I am sure it is going to smoke incredibly well. If he does not sell it in KC it has my name on it. I predict though that it will not return home with him because it is that good.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Thanks Harris! ...the truth is- by the time you saw the pipe you had a few glasses of wine and a belly full of food which might have affected your judgement...and just for you- I may actually do a Rhodesian for the KC show...:)

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
I'm loving the total package. That blast is mesmerizing. I hope this isn't inappropriate but I'm curious if you have any of your pipes available for sale?

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Very nice, I was going to also submit a pipe again this year, but we have to move, and I just won't have time. With your skills you have a great chance of placing. Keep it up and thanks for sharing.

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
Zack, your work just gets better and better. You make some absolutely STUNNING pipes and it is my goal to own one (or more) in the hopefully not too distant future. I definitely see your pipes being right there alongside the top names very soon. IMO, they already are on par with the top names. Keep it up, brother and kick some ass in KC!

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
@layinpipe Thanks for the kind words...The reality is that this is all a work in process-every time I go to a show and see some of the best guys in the world, it helps me push me to improve just a little more....
I really appreciate all the encouragement I've had from the guys on the Forum over the past year...it's been really helpful!

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
You're welcome Zack, just calling it how i see it and giving credit where credit is due. You sound like a very open minded and humble individual as well and always willing to learn from those around you, which combined with the obvious skillset you already possess, can only lead to progression and further down the path of perfection. I am not afraid to give my honest opinion, even if it veers on the side of friendly constructive criticism, as i know you understand it will only help to make you better. But so far though, all the creations i have seen made by you i have really liked, lol!

Status
Not open for further replies.