PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
How about a little chuckle to think about on your way to work, or whatever tomorrow morning?

My wife loves this Stanwell 939 shape so much, and after I found one for her at Mkelaw-Pipes.com, I came across another one on ebay. This shape usually sells for a fair amount if they're in nice shape, but this one looked real good except for a crack in the shank. No problem, I figured I could fix this myself fairly easily, after reading about it on this site and reborn pipes. When I got the pipe, I noticed that the crack was quite bad, and it had a replacement stem that was poorly fitted. First job, glue the crack together on the shank. I wasn't looking to make this pipe look like new, just smokable. After applying super glue, I put it in my small jewelers vise that has rubber covers on the jaws. As I was slowly cranking it down, it was taking quite a bit of pressure to get the crack to close. Just as I got it together, I heard a crack! Crap! I pulled the pipe out of the vise, and sure enough, I now had 2 more cracks to deal with. So at this point I'm thinking I'll have to send it out and have it banded. I just wasn't sure I wanted to invest that much in the pipe, and thought about how I might band it myself. This can be a dangerous road to go down, if you, like me have never done anything like that. I knew that I could order a band for it, but thought I might have something around the house to use. After discarding several options, I found that the brass base on a 410 shotgun shell would be about the right size.

Long story short, after going through the process of removing the plastic shell and rear of the brass (lots of careful drilling required) I found the brass sleeve a little too small for the shank. Get out the dremel, and more careful sanding, grinding, etc. I got it to fit. Now heat it up and glue it on with plenty of super glue, and press it on in my little vise. More work getting the stem fitted and finished, but finally it all came together. A Stanwell model 939/410.

It looks so, so, a little clunky, not really a smooth fit, but it's strong enough, and the stem fits right, is easy to remove and replace. Really, all I wanted was a smokable pipe, and it is! Plus my wife likes it a lot, especially cause I fixed it with my own little hands, and the shell was from her shotgun too!

Sometimes life is just a grin.... :wink:
img_00891-600x431.jpg

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Your approach was somewhat scattergun, but the post was a good primer. I'm guessing that your wife was pretty choked up when she saw your fine repair

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Nice job! I've used pieces cut from shell casing for bands but never a .410. Seems like Boswell uses them on some of their pipes.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
So after the St. Patty's day doings with the Irish pipes and tobaccos and all, my wife wanted to try out this newly renovated Stanwell. Surprisingly she wanted to smoke some Ennerdale Flake in it. I've smoked it before, and she was curious about it. (she called it flower tobacco) But she's never smoked this before, and I warned her that she might as well dedicate the pipe to lakeland tobaccos as this would ghost the pipe for sure. She said fine, and went on and tried it, and to my surprise, she really enjoyed it! She loves the tobacco, and also says the pipe smoked so great, it's now one of her favorites.

Who da thunk? Life's full of surprises, and this was one of the good ones!

Status
Not open for further replies.