PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

indianafrank

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 15, 2014
When I’m not on the road working/traveling, I teach drivers ed part time. What that means is that I take the high school kids, 4 at a time, 5 hours a day driving. It’s a suicidal job with very little thanks from the parents or the students. So when it comes to riding with others, nothing phases me.
We were on a tour bus in Cozumel as part of our cruise. There were about 30 cruise passengers beside my wife and I. The cigar smoking bus driver was maneuvering the bus by weaving in and out of traffic, running lights, and even driving up on the curb at high speed. He drove on the curb for at least two blocks. His cigar, Cuban I’m sure, was filling the bus with smoke as it mingled with the smell from a bad exhaust system. As I sat calmly through the ride the other passengers were freaking out. My wife kept squeezing my hand and saying OMG.
When the ride was over passengers were commenting on how lucky they were to be alive. And then one women said to me.
“Frank? That was damn scary. Weren’t you afraid?”
“Nope.” I told her. “Just another day at the office.”

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
I have been to Mexico a few times. As far as I can tell, the first car to the stop sign dosnt have to stop? So drivers race to the stop sign and just gun it threw the intersection! Good luck trying to cross the street as a pedestrian!

boilermakerandy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2014
I used to travel to Nogales on business several years ago. One of my co-workers was involved in an accident at an intersection with a broken stoplight. They threw him in jail and when he finally went to court the judge found him guilty and said the malfunctioning stoplight was no excuse because everyone in town knew it didn't work. I don't miss traveling to Mexico.

indianafrank

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 15, 2014
boilermakerandy, I used to travel to Nogales back in the '60's when I was stationed in AZ. Canal street was the usual stop.
My CO used to tell us not to drive our personal cars over the boarder because of the drug trade. At that time it was marijuana and LSD that were the drugs of choice.
Anyway, being 18 and reckless I drove my car across the boarder, went to canal street for half a night, got in my car and drove back to the boarder. That's when I was pulled over. They searched my '57 Chevy and found 2 bags of grass inside the hubcaps. Some Mexican stashed it there. I was thrown in a Mexican jail for 2 days. The worse experience of my life. I could have been out in a few hours but my CO wanted me to learn the hard way, besides, i was a screw up, and he had enough of my antics.

boilermakerandy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2014
They searched my '57 Chevy and found 2 bags of grass inside the hubcaps. Some Mexican stashed it there. I was thrown in a Mexican jail for 2 days. The worse experience of my life.
Ouch! From what I've heard Mexican jails are real hellholes.

frank13

Can't Leave
Oct 5, 2014
Bakersfield, CA
I love Cozumel. I go there every year for the some of the best diving in the world. I usually stay at the Casa del Mar. I was there for Hurricane Wilma, which was the biggest hurricane to hit the Caribbean in recorded history. It was an amazing experience... I've never had the pleasure of riding the bus there, though. Usually, I take taxis. ;)

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
Mexico is always an entertaining adventure.
This is an adventure I have lived everyday for the last 15 years!
Glad to hear you're still alive indianafrank. For that matter, I'm glad I'm still alive.
Greetings from Mexico City

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
I've been to Mexico a few time and the last time my buddy subjected renting a car to which I replyed "No way in H*ll am I trying to drive here!!!". It is truly the wild west on the roads down there.

Status
Not open for further replies.