PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

xrundog

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
My absolute favorite pipes to collect are early American pipes with cherry Bakelite stems. There is something about that shiny translucent red that really makes me happy. An accompanying case makes it even better. These two don't have cases but I can overlook it.

I bought both of these from the same seller. I imagine they came from an estate where they were drawer partners. Both have the telltale wear mark on the left side. Every time the drawer was opened they rocked a little and over time made the wear marks.

Both were lightly smoked. A little cleaning and buffing and they are ready to go.
First is a Manhattan Bakelite Conley. My guess is that this is a 20s pipe. Specific model names didn't appear much before then. Plus the style and lack of ornament looks more 20s to me. I have no clue what the Conley reference is. It's a large Canadian (6.5") with a tulip shaped canted bowl and a tapering oval shank. Of course I do love a cherry Bakelite stem!
Manhattan%20Bakelite%20Large%20Canadian%201_zps7916tyhj.jpg

Manhattan%20Bakelite%20Large%20Canadian%203_zpsm4jquduv.jpg

The second pipe is a WDC French Briar Bakelite Billiard with a Military mount. It's the only WDC like it I've seen so I'm jazzed to have it. It's probably teens or 20s. The band is Electro Silver. What a great looking pipe!
WDC%20FB%20Bakelite%20Military%201_zpswt1zbg0c.jpg

WDC%20FB%20Bakelite%20Military%202_zps7kommbyl.jpg

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Congrats. Both are very nice, sharp looking pipes. I really like the bowl-to-button taper on the Canadian.

Status
Not open for further replies.