Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

deimitori

Might Stick Around
Oct 14, 2010
Greek Pipemaker Alexander Zavvos has passed away in Athens - Greece, on February 10th 2015...
A little biography notes for Alexander Zavvos in a message written by Kostas Gourvelos (another great pipe maker of Greece) in the Facebook group The Gentlemen's Pipe Smoking Society:
"Greek Pipemaker Alexander Zavvos has passed away...
Yesterday was a day of greif for the Greek pipe community. Alexander Zavvos is not among us anymore...
He was the greatest part of the Greek pipe history. He started his business some 53 years ago circa 1962 and he was still producing pipes.

When in peak, he owned a big 3 storey building with some 300 employees and co-operators, from briar excavators to cutters and sanders and vulcanite stem producers, sending bowls and finished or semi-finished pipes to many known firms around the world (Charatan, Dunhill, Tilshead, Orlik, Stanwell, Nording, Peterson, Savinelli to mention some).
He was a customer of mine (in computers hardware and software) so I had a very closed relationship and own more than 50 pipes of his production. Every time I was visiting him, the smell of briar and tobacco stopped me from smoking cigarettes and guided me back to smoke pipes again.

Always searching for new ways to filter smoke, he had made many genius patents.

Maybe he was the reason I am now making pipes...

We thank him and wish to rest in peace and with his pipe on hand. "

==================================================
As about me, I believe Alexander Zavvos was a great pipe maker and also a pioneer in pipe making! I have met him in personal and he was always so passionate with his art in pipe making. I have two pipes of him and they are fantastic pipes both of them. He will be missed very much in pipe communities of Greece and abroad as well. May his soul rest in peace.
Zavvos.jpg

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
We have his legacy, your fond remembrances. Nice tribute to an obviously passionate pipe Icon.

Thank you for bringing this event to our attention. NOW, we'll take notice of this man's contributions.

Status
Not open for further replies.