48 Fresh AKB Meerschaum Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today I had two packages in the mail from two gracious forum members. They of course, had no idea it was going to be my birthday when the packages arrived, but sometimes a cast of the dice taps into that universal consciousness thing that groove as all together, ha ha.

Anyways, Escio, in being kind to me and burying the hatchet (I like Native American references when discussing tobacco) for having pointed out what I dick I was being, when I was being a dick, ha ha, sent me some samples of some really great aged tobaccos; including...

2013 Stonehaven

1990 Druegar & Sons XX Press (? did I read that right)

19?? Dilly Best Sliced

1947 Edgeworth's Sliced
I've just fired up a slice of the Edgeworth's and it's delicious.
And, melvinsunsmokedcastello, sent me a package of Cotton Boll after a discussion that we had about where I may purchase some. I'm looking forward to this one as well, as I really love a strong blend to end the day.
Thanks gentlemen. You've made this old man's day on his inaugural year of breathing and such. One more trip around the sun, and a happy pipe in my maul. You two are true gents, and I appreciate it much.
I hope you all enjoyed my birthday as well :puffy:

Escio, I'll definitively work on my choice of words in the future :wink:

escioe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 31, 2013
My handwriting obviously needs work.
The Edgeworth is indeed 1947. The other ancient flake is called Dill's Best Sliced. No idea when that's from, though I'd guess maybe 60s based on packaging. Then there's Drucquer & Son XX Press, which I've seen one reference to perhaps being tinned McClelland 2015. I'd believe it, based on tin note, cut, and taste. Plus the Stonehaven.
Happy to send an unwitting birthday surprise. Enjoy!

escioe

Oct 31, 2013
The fact that you thought it was cursive tells me my handwriting needs lots of work.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
"I hope you all enjoyed my birthday as well :puffy: "
I wondered all day why I was having such a great day! Happy Birthday, Cosmic! And here's to many more revolutions around the sun!

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Well, happy birthday cosmic!
Sorry I missed the thread where you were being 'a dick', although it's hard for me to believe that
Nice work, gentlemen

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
Sorry I missed the thread where you were being 'a dick', although it's hard for me to believe that
It's good to be a simple mortal from time to time.
Happy Birthday Cosmic!
Earlier I smoked two bowls back to back of Cube Silver, now I understand why I had to smoke the second bowl.

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
Happy belated, Cosmic!! Don't worry, everyone changes their name to "Richard" for brief periods of time now and then. Unfortunately, some people are "Richards" their whole lives and you are most definitely not one of them, my friend! Really curious as to what a 67 year old aged tobacco tastes like...could you elaborate a bit on your thoughts on the Edgeworth? That is some OLD 'baccy! Escioe and Melvin, good on you guys, just another testament to the generosity around here!

escioe

Oct 31, 2013
I've only had one bowl of the Edgeworth, but my thoughts: whatever magic this tin may have had is long gone. I got it as a gift from a pal. The seal was broken and the tobacco was intact inside, but bone dry. Looking back, I wish I had smoked a little before rehydrating, but it would've turned to dust upon rubbing. There were hints of maybe cocoa throughout the bowl, but I found it largely flavorless. It was more of an oddity than anything else, but I figured I'd share, in case someone could find something I couldn't.

I had a bowl yesterday, and it was very subtle, very. It might have been great at one time, but I think that most of the oils had dissipated over time. But, I got enough of a hint of flavor that makes me curious enough to want to try it again if the opportunity arises. It didn't strike me a very burleysque at all.
The Stonehaven though... I have just arrived from the Briary with four pounds of the stuff. I'm sold on that one. Thanks!!

Status
Not open for further replies.