PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

phineastoad

Lurker
Oct 1, 2016
Some decades ago, I smoked a pipe then dropped it. Decided recently to take it up again and thoroughly enjoying the peace it gives me. My current collection includes almost all used pipes, obtained via eBay and a local pipe shop.
Anyway...
I've been reading about the alcohol/salt method of reconditioning a old stinky pipe and did so with a pretty foul Wellington. Worked fine but then I got to reading and thinking about gurgling and salt (and pipe sweetener 'pellets') and have tried an experiment with 3 smokes.
I pre-load my pipe with a generous pinch of kosher salt then pack in the tobacco. Might have had a little reduction of gurgle but I think the smoke is smoother. I've not developed much of a palate as yet and may be deluding myself but I think the salt makes the smoke experience better.
Certain it is that after smoking, the salt is very discolored and more clumpy so it's absorbing something during the course of the smoke.
No adverse effect that I can tell but again I am a rookie.
Commments?

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
If it works for ya, do it. However, one of our well-regarded members advises against too much salt exposure as being bad for the briar. (That member is Sablebrush, by the way.)

May 4, 2015
It's an interesting discovery, but as salt can have some pretty yucky effects on materials, both organic and not, I would advise toward something more inert like bits of terra cotta if I were going to leave anything in there for smoking.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
And here I was concerned about the cabin sole! Bolting anodes to it would make walking difficult.... :roll:
Phineas- I'd not do that. If you get gurgle, dry the tobacco more and take smaller puffs.
As to salt build up, you can rinse the bowl and stem with hot water and dry with paper towel and pipe cleaners; Q-Tips for the mortise hole. Water in pipes is anathema to a number of guys, and you may get dire warnings against such. Myths die hard! (Only for briar pipes that have no cracks in bowl or stem.)
A gentler pipe sweetener is wet used coffee grounds- takes several days to dry out, but then you're good to go.

sthbkr77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 17, 2015
MD
An older Gentleman from my last neighborhood puts a pebble in the bottom of his pipe, he swears by it. No different than those keystone things that came on the market a while back.

Status
Not open for further replies.