PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

owen

Part of the Furniture Now
May 28, 2014
All are very nice smokers with some lovely grain, and great takes on classic shapes. My collection has various grades and not a fill in site. Some of the stems are hand cut on the higher grade pipes. The Briar cut models are wonderfully light. Others of the high end pipes have plain grain.
The pipedia page is almost always quoted by sellers stating that the pipes are made by Charatan, Barling and Loewe. There also appears to be a connection with Orlik. None of this matters to me as they are great pipes in their own right.
I would however welcome input on possible time lines. Bewlay have used a number of different versions of their logo and I have pipes marked MADE IN ENGLAND, LONDON ENGLAND and LONDON MADE, with a variety of fonts etc. There is some great information on the wonderful Reborn Pipes Website.
Any information would be most welcome.

Owen

image10-600x337.jpg
image7-600x337.jpg
image5-600x337.jpg
image2-600x337.jpg
image9-600x337.jpg
image6-600x337.jpg
image4-600x337.jpg

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
The first one is marked with a shape code 5589, it's pretty obvious who made it.
bewlay5589-009-600x450.jpg

bewlay5589-007-600x450.jpg

The next three are by Orlik (Hallmarks and shape numbers),
bewlay-006-600x449.jpg

bewlay-022-600x449.jpg

bewfin-002-600x449.jpg

londonmake

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2016
shhhhhh.......
Makes me nervous when an obscure brand pipe starts gaining attention. You know why.

That being said, these are amongst the best brit pipes for the money.

:)

owen

May 28, 2014
Thanks guys
dmcmtk and billykay can you confirm the country of manufacture on your Orlik and Barling made pipes?

None of mine correspond with Orlik shape numbers.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
dmcmtk and billykay can you confirm the country of manufacture on your Orlik and Barling made pipes?

None of mine correspond with Orlik shape numbers.
The Barling's made pipe is LONDON ENGLAND. I don't have the hallmarked pipes right in front of me, the bent pipe is LONDON MADE.

May 31, 2012
I love Bewlay's,

although I only have three of them.
Pardon the poor pictures as they were just quick snaps...
...the sandblast was a recent find, complete with box & etc, sadly the stem has been bitten through but otherwise it's a very fine example:
HvRKxWi.jpg

zSA7AHu.jpg
The old tobacco tin was a neat find because they seem to be scarce, oddly it came from Greece, and the sandblast pipe came from Portugal!
The Briarcut billiard in the trio pic is a 156 as Bill also has --- it's a very fine smoker and I think it's about as perfect as the billiard shape can get, sorta like a baby LB in a way.
I adore this old jar...
fnrYgVd.png

Reactions: AJL67

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
...the sandblast was a recent find, complete with box & etc, sadly the stem has been bitten through but otherwise it's a very fine example
Troy, it looks like a Sasieni, the Renfrew shape.
64sas91-470x600.jpg

andy

Might Stick Around
Aug 28, 2013
Wonderful information and a great thread. I love the photos, and to think these are on some of the most prestigious streets of London - certainly the golden age of pipes!

owen

May 28, 2014
Mr LC thanks for the contribution, educational as always I really feel that a number of the shapes are real classics,would love to add a few sandblasts as I only have one.

londonmake

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2016
Here's my latest Bewlay, a Spiral, in a small liverpool shape.
Should clean up well.

londonmake

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2016
Thx, billkay.

They are usually very good pipes.

The guys in my pipe club say 'Beula'---- like its a weird name for a pipe company. :)

owen

May 28, 2014
I would love to hear how the spiral smokes. Interesting that Bewlay had a number of patents for pipes going way back. Also I saw a spiral go for £50 here in the UK recently.

londonmake

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2016
Owen, Billkay

I remember a Bewlay that went for about 100 US here ----it depends on who is watching the auction, all things being equal.

But, I'll remove the spiral filter for smoking and maybe use it as a toothpick [ouch].

Glad to see this whole thread, about time this brand got some attention finally.

Reactions: mawnansmiff

owen

May 28, 2014
Yes there is some strange bidding. I've been the only bidder on high end bewlays for £10 and seen bidding go through the roof on other things.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
All very true Bill. The Armellini pipes made for The Tinder Box are quite nice.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
All very true Bill. The Armellini pipes made for The Tinder Box are quite nice.

owen

May 28, 2014
Its always risky flagging up hidden gems or just letting people know. I'm sure A Passion for Pipes was increasing the demand and cost of Comoy Blue Ribbon pipes while Neil Archer Roan was trying to collect them. Also Sable Brush here has done a lot to stimulate interest in Barlngs.
It would also appear that some Bewlay pipes were distributed in America as there is some info on pipepages.

jensen

Can't Leave
Apr 10, 2016
In the standard quality I have a shape 156 ( in the Bewlay book extra large billiard) and a shape 139

(medium billiard). The 139 is unsmoked and with a guarante from dec. 1959.Both have,what we here call

a waternose on the peg which made me think that they are made by Comoy.
I also have a blasted giant with hand cut mouthpiece.No doubt it is Orlik made.
I would like to mention that when Michael Billington took over unfinished bowls etc.after the late Mr.

G.Huybrecht there were a number of Bewlay stamps: Extra, L.M., olde 49, p.1.,Quaint, Special Grain and

one with only Bewlay.

Michael Billington is at Blakemar Briars.

Status
Not open for further replies.