PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

guitrsnglocks

Might Stick Around
Apr 1, 2015
So I know there are hundreds of threads on room note and 1Q and the "pipe smell" but I kinda grow tired of searching through them.. I'm new to the hobby but basically got started because I loved the smell of my grandfathers pipe. I'm quite certain he always smoked something vanilla which is probably the smell I'm after. My question is since I can't smell my own room note and primarily smoke 1q, does it produce the aroma I'm so in love with? Basically what most describe as that sweet pipe smell? I know to the veterans of these forums this topic is surely old and monotonous. But any replies will be greatly appreciated! Thanks all!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
You got it. That one certainly is what most would call their grandfather's pipe smell. Quite nostalgic, and very heavenly.

bernie2

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 23, 2015
Memories of my grandfather smoking is what drew me to smoking pipes as well.
Lane 1Q is as close as I can get to that room note that lingers in my memory from 35 years ago.
Apart from the room note it is a very tasty smoke.
Welcome to the forums!

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I really don't 'get' a room note when I smoke. I'm too busy with what's going on in my pipe and my sensory glands to be able to smell room effect. Am I unusual? I don't think so, but most reviewers do comment on 'room note'.

bernie2

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 23, 2015
newbroom - I don't think anyone that is smoking can tell what the room note is. The only way I know how the room note is for Lane 1Q is I checked while my brother and nephew were smoking.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
guitrsnglocks- I'll just throw out a couple other thoughts besides 1Q, since we are talking about your grandfather. I'm not sure how far back 1Q goes...but thinking about American pipe smoking in that era, I also wonder:
1. Any variety of bulk tobaccos sold in a local shop. Vanilla is probably the most common casing I real about in aromatics...almost any aromatic smells delicious in the air.
2. OTC tobaccos- so many folks would have smoked a drug store type pouch tobacco...prince albert, SWR, half & half, etc. Those all tend to smell pretty decent too.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
It's possible that 1Q isn't your grandfather's preferred tobacco - but it might as well be. It certainly gets compliments when I smoke it around other people.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
The reaction I get from most people when I have 1Q around them is it smells like roasting marshmallows.
You're grandfather could've smoked 1Q, if I remember correctly I think someone said it's been around for about fifty years.
It's also very possible he had one of the OTC blends like Sir Walter Raleigh or Half&Half etc.

josiah

Lurker
Nov 16, 2013
Cornwall
I've been thinking for a while about finding something to blend in with my VaPer flakes to make them a little less offensive to those around me - usually smoke orlik GS or stokkebye LBF rubbed out. Any opinions on whether a little 1Q mixed in will work? I live in the UK where pipe tobacco costs all yer money, so I buy a big load whenever I come to the states. As such, careful planning wins out over experimenting with lots of blends!

Status
Not open for further replies.