PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 24, 2012
I ordered a pipe from Marty Pulvers for the first time last night.
He had an unsmoked 1986 Bill Taylor Ashton on his site, and I just had to grab it. He didn't say the shape, but looks like a Canadian.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
What a find! The Ashton brand started in 1984 (well, there were some prototype Ashtons made in 1983), and it has been reported that the 1980's Ashtons were actually among the most outstanding that Bill Taylor made. I love that shape (the Canadian is one of my favorites), and the blast and Cumberland stem really make that one stand out. Great purchase Peck!
Pipestud

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Early Ashtons are quite dear, and an umsmoked specimen even more so. I'm a Pebble Grain fan, so I think this one looks smashing!

flmason

Lifer
Oct 8, 2012
Congratulations Peck on your new pipe. Perhaps this pipe might have come from the David Field collection that Rob Cooper sold awhile back. I think over 200 Ashton's were sold and most of them were unsmoked. An excellent find. I hope you enjoy it for many years.

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
Being a collector of Ashton's myself, I have to agree that Bill's early work is quite sought after these days. Having Ashton pipes from all different years, I can personally say that they ALL smoke great. That's a fantastic example of Bill's early days with an incredible sandblast. Super nice find Peck, you've got another keeper for sure.

sfsteves

Lifer
Aug 3, 2013
SF Bay Area
Extraordinary pipe, sir ... it's been quite some time since I saw Marty ... I used to stop in his downtown SF store once or twice a week after work to buy and smoke a cigar and chat with him and the guys who worked for him as well as a few other regular habitués ... changing times took me out of The City for work and caused Marty to close his wonderful store and I miss the experience ... I've been in a lot of B&Ms over the course of the last 40 years, some good, some bad and some indifferent ... Marty remains one of the two nicest and most knowledgeable people I've ever done business with.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
That is a lovely pipe Peck. I've got several early Ashtons (mid- to late-80s) from the hands of Bill Taylor and they are wonderful smokers. They are also very light weight for their size.

Dec 24, 2012
FLMASON - I don't believe this comes from the Field Collection or I am sure it would have been priced much higher. I have a couple of Ashtons from the Field Collection, and they cost me much more than this one. Now, I hope I'm wrong on this, lol.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
peck, that is a beauty, great blast and the Cumberland stem looks perfect on it. I hope it smokes great for you.
Now that you have admitted to owning 2 from the Fields collection, you need to post pics of them. Those were some of the coolest looking Ashtons I have ever seen. I watched everyone that Rob sold and was amazed at many of them.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Nice pick-up partner. That's a great looking pipe. Love the blast and the shape, and as Harris said, that cumberland stem ties it all together.
-- Pat

Status
Not open for further replies.