PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
Well the 1968 Dunhill group 1 Shell Briar has arrived and after ogling it for a bit I decided to break it down for some cleaning.
I did check the filters that came with it and as one would expect they have nothing to do with this pipe just must have ended up in the Dunhill box by its former owner. Surprise of surprises came when I removed the stem to find the pipe indeed sported a filter, one like I've never seen before. So taking a chance I removed the inner tube insert from Richard Dunhills group 2 inner tube shell that I own and viola (I write it that way on purpose) it fit like the proverbial glove. My guess is that at some point in the history of pipe making Dunhill, or some after market venture since it has no name stamp on it, made filters for the Dunhill inner tube line.
Neat find all in all and those were not cob webs but a dust bunny atop the cake which has now been reamed, need to complete cleaning and sterilizing it, until then here's a photo of it with the pipe cleaner I wrote about, thought I'd share what the filter looks like in the off chance one of the Dunhill aficionados out there could shed some valuable light. Warm regards................................

banjo
15850888970_9cdb8fb42d_c.jpg

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
To clarify, there was nothing but the filter in the stem and when I removed it I immediately thought it was the same diameter as the Dunhill inner tube insert so I quickly broke down the group 2 Dunhill inner tube shell I purchased from Richard Dunhills collection and it fit exactly as it had grown there, length and diameter perfect so my guess is at some point filters were offered for the inner tube line of Dunhill pipes.

banjo

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
fishnbanjo:
Thank-you for the clarification. It makes sense to me that the filter would fit inside of the inner tube. I wonder if Dunhill ever offered their Absorbal filters for this application?
What effect does the filter have, I wonder, on the draw of the pipe? Out of curiosity (and having nothing else to use in lieu of a filter)I compared the draw of a Dunhill inner tube with and without a pipe-cleaner inside of it. As you would expect, the restriction with the pipe-cleaner in place was considerable. My guess is that the filter was much less restrictive.

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
Since the filter is obviously used I'm not going to smoke with it in. I will, however see what difference it makes with the inner tube from Richard Dunhills pipe smokes with it installed and w/o I'm sure wide open will make a difference.

banjo

Status
Not open for further replies.