PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cwp79

Lurker
Mar 21, 2012
Hi,

I recently picked up a 1952 Dunhill Tanshell poker shape. When the pipe arrived I was surprised to see that the bowl and shank appear to be two pieces adhered together. There is a distinct line around the bottom of the shank near where it enters the bowl. I was freaking out a bit thinking that it was a repair until I found a video on You Tube (below) which shows a similar pipe with the same line around the shank. Has anybody seen this before or know why they made it that way? I have seen other Tanshell pokers from the same era that are totally shank-less where a long stem fits directly into the bowl. Maybe they made all of the bowls the same and then inserted a shank into some of the models? Here are some photos: pipe, shank 1, shank 2, markings. Anybody have an idea what this might be worth after a full restoration? Thanks!

Video

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
I'm with Uber on that. It would be interesting to know the story with it. Cool Dunhill with an awesome sandblast in any case.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
Can't give you any info but I have to agree with the previous posters that that is a beautiful Dunhill.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I'm no Duhill expert and would love to hear from someone who is on that stem. Perhaps it was a repair of sort? You might want to check in over on the SmokersForums, there are a number of Dunhill experts on that board (Streets of London social group) I'm a member there, and will check for you.

nobail

Might Stick Around
Dec 26, 2011
Oregon
I'm not an expert but check out Dunhill Dating Guide for help in dating the pipe. I have that model (6475) made in 1956 that I bought for my one and only Dunhill for my birth pipe.
.__480_319_Dunhill%201.jpg

I think that pipe must have been repaired, is there a metal insert within the stem, perhaps down inside where it would be difficult to see? I have no idea as to value once restored.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
The metal insert is NOT a sign of repair; it's an "inner tube" that Dunhill markets as providing a "cooler smoke". Most just remove it.

nobail

Might Stick Around
Dec 26, 2011
Oregon
When you say inner tube, is that different than a stinger?

The stinger is attached to the bit, while the inner tube is in the stem?

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
The inner tube is just a hollow tube within the draft chamber. It's not attached at all, just remove the bit and slide out the inner tube.

nobail

Might Stick Around
Dec 26, 2011
Oregon
Yes, I see what you are writing now. I'm suggesting that the OP look into the shank to see if a hollow tube was used to support a repair, glued in the shank, not a inner tube. I've not seen such a line as his on any 6475 that I looked at, and that is why I suggested looking for a repair tube, NOT an inner tube.

cwp79

Lurker
Mar 21, 2012
Thanks for all the feedback. I'm out of town for the weekend but will check out the inside of the shank on tuesday. I'll be asking for a refund if it's a repair.

steyrshrek

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 1, 2012
It looks like repair can't see why anyone would put a joint there while making a pipe. Cool looking pipe but they should have been upfront about the repair as that definitely lowers the value.

dukdalf

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 24, 2011
This reminds me of one of mine:

CW51.jpg

This shape is called a cherrywood. A while ago I did some googling on this nomenclature and if I remember correctly the name stems from a traditional (i.e. centuries old) type of pipe which was constructed out of two pieces of wood, one (or both?) of them cherry in the way you describe: the stem was inserted into the bowl in a similar manner as on your Dunhill, or on a corncob if you like. After looking at your pics I doubt the seam on your shank lives up to the standards of finishing a job they usually adhere to at Dunhill's...

Status
Not open for further replies.