PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

grimsthorpe

Lurker
Mar 14, 2013
Folks, I have inherited Grandpa's pipe. For some reason he never smoked it, and I can't smoke it. It just seems a little weird. I've carted it from one end of this country and back and still have not smoked it. It is just not going to happen, so I'm thinking of selling it. I'm hoping you aficionados can help me with its value.

Here goes. 1. never smoked. 2. Stamped "Dunhill London" 3. "A and a square" 3. "Made in England" 4. " Patent no. 197365" 5. 36
I also have the original box. It is not pristine. It reads, " Custom Guild Made in England"
Inside reads, " This pipe is manufactured from genuine Mediterranean briar. THE WORLD'S BEST. Briar of this type is used only in manufacturing pipes of the finest quality. The mouthpiece is of prewar quality, para vulcanite, assuring you the utmost in smoking enjoyment." "FULLY GUARANTEED"
The box is cardboard.
I really don't have a clue as to what to do with this, but my brief and relatively fruitless attempts at finding the value of this pipe, does suggest there is some value here.

I would appreciate any assistance you folks in pipe smoking land might offer.
Cheers.

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
I want first dibs if you are selling. As to value, it's totally up to the buy and pipe. How much is someone willing to pay, is the style nice, or is a god awfull shape. I've seen Dunhill go from $50.00 to $500.00. Year does play a factor but usually IMO not a deciding one, as I've been looking for a 1972 Dunhill for about a year (thats not all burnt up).

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I would auction it, I suspect an unsmoked 1940's dunhill to fetch 300$ plus easily, the auction could easily bring it up to 500 or more, I see new dunhills at my tobacco shop for alot of $$$$, don't be foolish and get lowballed

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
I recently picked up a 1926 Dunhill Patent pipe. Values are subjective, but mine is worth quite a bit. I sure yours is too. The internet can provide some idea of value. Good luck!

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
Welcome mate, but...... You have a 1940 unsmoked Dunhill, with the original box and did not provide pictures? Shame, shame on you mate. That is just wrong. hahahahaha

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
To go along with the folks already suggested I'd add pipestud and treasurepipes who both sell on eBay, both are knowledgeable,fair and do very well in their pipe auctions, best of luck, were I born in that year I'd go after it but it's 10 years older than I am and I'm neither in the original packaging nor unused. :)

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Nothing to add except to say that an unsmoked Patent No. Dunhill would be highly sought after. You've got quite a treasure there.

flmason

Lifer
Oct 8, 2012
Perhaps you may also want to keep it as a memory of your grandfather. Perhaps your dad or another family member might know the reason why the pipe remained unsmoked.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
fishnbanjo, I respectfully disagree with your suggestion of using pipestud for selling this pipe. His auctions always go for much less than market value because he is known for not cleaning his pipes. When he gets a new pipe he does ok, but not nearly as well as other no reserve sellers.
In regards to treasurepipes, you have to be real careful. He tries to get you to sell him the pipe for cash and he tries to rob you. If you can get him to take it on consignment he can do very well in terms of getting top dollar, but you have to make him do it on consignment. I priced some pipes with Rodrigo aka Treasurepipes, and he low balled me on every one. He offered me 150.00 for a Former sandblast which I had sold for me on ebay by coopersark and he got me 420.00 for the pipe. Less Rob's commission, I ended up getting 294.00 which is a hell of a lot better than 150.00.
roth's suggestions of people are good ones.
grimsthorpe, will 500.00 or so change your lifestyle in any way? If not then I personally would never sell that pipe. I would give almost anything to have my grandfathers pipes, as I began pipe smoking long after he died and I don't know where his pipes ended up. It is part of your family history and in 30 years that pipe will be worth 5 figures which can be handed down to your kids or their kids.

piperl12

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2012
+1000 cigrmaster, I agree that selling a family heirloom for something as stupid as cash unless it will make the difference between food on the table and not is short sighted. Forgive me for saying but you own a peice of your family history, unsmoked or not. That is a sacred trust. I would pass it down to my Grandkids. The $400.00 will soon be gone and you will regret giving up such a poinant reminder of your Grandad at some point in the not too distant future. I once had an older Italian Gent during a pheasant hunt offer me a ridiculas amound of money more than my fathers side by side shotgun was worth. Because he could, and wanted the gun. Well that gun went home with me that day and will sit in an honoured place in my collection until my son is old enough to understand the significance of such a gift. Some things will always be valued at far more than the intrinsic value of the object.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Harris: I gave my brother and sister-in-law the same advice when they inherited her fathers 1930's Smith & Wesson service revolver (he was the Chief of Police in Charlotte NC). She didn't like guns, but I had a local gunsmith remove the firing pin and we put it in a shadow box with his badge. Now, they love having that memento from her grandfather. Good advice whether or not you understand pipes or guns.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
And, it you really decide in 10 years it means nothing to you, it will be worth twice what you sold it for in 2013, perhaps significantly more.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Grim IMHO you joined to get an appraisal , I am judging you on the basis it was your Grandfathers, AND YOU WANT TO SELL IT, it"s a shame what people have come to today, if we have to tell you , you should keep it , I believe that's falling on deaf ears, you had no intention of keeping it and are useing this forum as shills, if I am wrong I apologize, but I don"t think I"m wrong. The old cajun

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Welcome mate, but...... You have a 1940 unsmoked Dunhill, with the original box and did not provide pictures? Shame, shame on you mate. That is just wrong.
:rofl: +1
Also, I wouldn't sell that pipe either unless I really needed the money.

grimsthorpe

Lurker
Mar 14, 2013
Hey, thank you all for your good sagacious advise. I smoke my K & P Peterson pipe, which is identical to a lovely uncle's pipe. I purchased it while travelling in Ireland which seems to make it feel even better. I occasionally smoke a nice looking Stanwell, which just does not pull as well as the Peterson. I use grandpa's "Terry's Hedgehog Reamer" every day and would not part with it.

As to date I have not parted with grandpa's pipe, and this is in part to you guys. This is not anything my kids will appreciate, so inevitably I think I will need to find it a new home and no, it is not just about the money. It is about someone appreciating a lovely pipe. I have cradled it often, but it is just not my style.

There is someone out there who will honour this pipe, smoke this pipe, display this pipe and it deserves all that.

For now it remains safely in my man cave.

Thanks again for the rethink. I am not rushing this and have certainly enjoyed the pipe more and perhaps more thoughtfully since posting this.

Cheers!

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
The dunhill factory was destroyed in the blitzkrieg of 1941, I would definitely get it professionally valued before selling.

Status
Not open for further replies.