PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I couldn't resist this unusual 1912 BBB diamond shank bent billiard. It's a nice group 3 size in sort of a Dunhill "Root" color. Very light with a smooth draw. It amazes me how well made some of these older pipes are -- BBB especially. Over 100 years old and still smoke like champs. Plus the stems are as good as the best ebonite available, today. In spite of their age, they usually have just a tiny bit of oxidation on them, whereas mid-century pipes are often green unless they've been taken care of. Heck, I have a Peterson that will oxidize almost overnight if you don't keep it oiled and polished.
dsc_0378-600x400.jpg

dsc_0375-600x400.jpg

dsc_0374-600x400.jpg

dsc_0376-600x400.jpg

dsc_0381-600x400.jpg

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Thanks, John. It wasn't in too bad a shape when I got it, but it cleaned up really nice.
Older pipes with silver bands have been my biggest PAD trigger, lately. Here's what I have so far:
antique-pipes-600x400.jpg

On the left-hand side:
1. 1905 BBB Bulldog

2. 1912 BBB Diamond Shank Billiard

3. 1912 BBB Bent Billiard/Apple
On the right:
4. 1922-23 "Tower" Billiard (by Civic)

5. 1896 Salmon & Gluckstein Army Mount Bent Billiard

6. 1896 Salmon & Gluckstein Army Mount Billiard

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Thanks, Pruss. BTW, what's that amber-stemmed pipe you're holding in the pic of you with Per Jensen? Is that an antique pipe or a Peterson Rosslare?

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Congrats on that BBB - that is one gorgeous pipe. Love the lines on that pipe - and I usually don't go for bents, but that one is unique.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Thanks, Pruss. BTW, what's that amber-stemmed pipe you're holding in the pic of you with Per Jensen? Is that an antique pipe or a Peterson Rosslare?
Good eye, Pitch. That's the Pete Rosslare 80S that I bought from rcstan.
-- Pat

May 31, 2012
I like the Mickey Mouse band aid

:)
Seriously, that's one cool pipe, the patina comes through in the pix and looks as if it has that special glow, looks like it was well taken of throughout all these years.
Great to see your early pipes, you're building up a nice collection there.
Have you got some time spent smoking these pipes?

I'd be curious to hear your opinion on the briar, does it display any traits that may not be present with newer briar?
One often reads that the older pipes used briar stock that was much more aged, so I'm wondering if you could add any input.
Do you happen to have the BBB catalog reprint from Briar Books?

I need to get a copy, it looks cool.
Just recently, I was tremendously lucky in scoring a late 20's red diamond BBB Hesson Ripple 2928, I haven't taken any pix yet but it looks exactly like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BBB-Own-Make-Hesson-2928-Pat-Dec-22-1925-Estate-Pipe-Excellent-Condition-/301131996060?nma=true&si=iNUuQ9Nj0ALWwJI9dhbbBNfXKmw%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

...except for the sandblast, and I paid $15 :D

The blast is amazing and I'm thrilled to have an early example of sandblasting done by someone other than Dunhill.
In fact, it looks like a 20's era Dunhill blast it's so craggy, it made me want to investigate how long the Shell patent lasted in Britain before it expired and allowed other makers to sandblast, if that was even an issue, I don't know, not much info on the early days of sandblasting, but I think that Dunhill had the London Sandblasting Co. do theirs, and how the BBB looks, it makes me curious if LSCo. did the same for other makers.
Anyway, I really dig yer oldies, it's cool to have the silver mounts and be able to precisely date them.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Beautiful old pipe! I love the looks of those old diamond shanked billiards, it's a shame you don't see more of them being made today.

I love the looks of that 1905 Bulldog as well! All of them are very nice indeed, congrats!

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012

Good eye, Pitch. That's the Pete Rosslare 80S that I bought from rcstan.
-- Pat
I was imagining a mystery antique with amber stem, but the Rosslare line is great. I love the yellow stems -- very much like the old amber and amberoid stems, which is maybe what they were going for.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I like the Mickey Mouse band aid

:)
Ha ha, nice catch.
Have you got some time spent smoking these pipes?

I'd be curious to hear your opinion on the briar, does it display any traits that may not be present with newer briar?
One often reads that the older pipes used briar stock that was much more aged, so I'm wondering if you could add any input.
As I wrote in another thread, I seriously don't believe that briar matters much -- sure, cure it properly and put holes in it, but all that soil-and-climate terroir stuff just doesn't make sense to me, especially since we all know that briar doesn't "breathe" anyway. :lol:
The main differences I notice are in the stems and airways. Pre-1930 rubber stems seem to be of much higher quality than later ones. Some of the pipes I have have 100 years of age on them, but the stems were barely oxidized. On the other hand, how many green Charatan stems have you seen from the 1960s? The other thing you notice is the prevalence of the orific button, which I happen to like. Essentially, it precludes any chance of having a poorly made slit/funnel at the bit by having a continuous round airway all the way through. They're also rounded on the end, rather than flat, which I find very comfortable. Finally, many of the bent pipes have a conical rather than flat mortise, with the airway drilled high, essentially allowing them to function like a modified "system" pipe, especially as the tenons are flat and "stepped" rather than chamfered like "proper" tenons. More ways than one to skin the old cat...
[/quote]Do you happen to have the BBB catalog reprint from Briar Books?

I need to get a copy, it looks cool.
It's in my cart at Smoking Pipes right now.
And congrats on the red diamond Hesson -- I saw one of those the other day. Very modern and sleek looking. Modernist, even.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I'm always on the lookout for 100+ year old pipes w amber stems! But no luck so far.
-- Pat
I hear they smell like money, especially if they have "Barling's" scrawled across the shank. :mrgreen:
Like this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/111325804773?

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Pitchfork this is exactly the reason why I buy 100+ year old pipes. Amber stems, someone else has broken the pipe in for you. All in all a great deal. I have two briars with amber stems that came in with another 8 meerschaums I hoovered up the other week.I will post pictures if anyone has an interest in them they can PM me.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
That is a wonderful shape and in amazing condition.
The other recent additions are also very appealing. You've explored a very interesting niche!

Status
Not open for further replies.