15% Off Estates at Smokingpipes.com - Just Grabbed a Demuth Estate!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I've been wanting to increase my "American Classics" collection and spied this one a couple of weeks ago for $50, but hemmed and hawed about it. Today I learned that smokingpipes is having a 15% off sale on estates. So for a price of $42, I bit. :puffy:
Plus, I added some tobacco to get the free shipping, including a tin of Peterson Christmas Blend 2013. It's very pricey, but I am a sucker for Christmas, so I couldn't resist.
004-009-5544.jpg

Description: A pocket-length, broad-shanked rendition of the old Zulu, this WDC should make for a handy pipe to keep around when you're on the go. All the more so given that there's a sterling silver band reinforcing the shank.
Not sure of the year, but the WDC stamp is on the stem, shank and band, so I am guessing it's a 1940s-50s era pipe.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Very nice. That one caught my eye as well. Will be interested to hear what you think of it -- I've seen this brand on ebay quite often, but have never held one in my hands.
Congrats, it's a handsome pipe at a great price.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Thanks a lot guys. I originally hemmed about it due to it's apparent age and WDCs aren't known to be great smokers.
However, $42 isn't a big risk. These pipes were ubiquitous back in the day, so I figured I had to have at least one (and I really like the shape).

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
That is a nice looking pipe!
It even has a "Peterson Style P-Lip" how cool.
Bet it will be a fine smoker too.
~Zeke

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Thanks a lot guys—really like the shape of this little guy.
Nice pipe, Six! Looks like a Peterson.
It even has a "Peterson Style P-Lip" how cool
Yeah - I thought it looked like a Pete too. In fact, the P-Lip surprised me, so I ask if the WDC stamp was on the stem (thinking it was a replacement), but the stamp is there.
I am not a fan of P-Lips, but I think I can get used to it.
I just grabbed a Dunhill Shell Briar at 15% off. Thanks for the heads up.
Big congrats to you - that's awesome!

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
six, just saw this thread, nice score on a great looking classic. I hear you about no risk for 42.00, it will look great in your collection. How does it smoke in comparison to your other pipes, is it a steal?

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
six, just saw this thread, nice score on a great looking classic. I hear you about no risk for 42.00, it will look great in your collection. How does it smoke in comparison to your other pipes, is it a steal?
Well, unfortunately the pipe was a disappointment. Was smaller than I expected (listed as 5.3 inches - which was technically true if you measured from the stem to the end of the bowl's slant) but it was more like 4.3 inches if you held it in your hand. The pipe was tiny.
The bowl was also very thin - even at $42, I decided to return it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
numbersix, I've been flirting with the English estate pots, two of them, but haven't bit yet. Looking at others around

the cyberworld. I'm sorry the pipe didn't work out. Scale is an important consideration with pipes, and heft. I have

a few pipes with modest bowls and one with a really small bowl, and I have that spectrum covered, so I too would not

want a real small pipe. Looking at the photo, I understand why you bought it.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Looking at the photo, I understand why you bought it.
Photos can be misleading in that they can look bigger and more substantial than they may be.
Forgot to mention that the stem didn't fit the pipe well either - all in all, not an appealing pipe for me, but maybe to a WDC collector.

Status
Not open for further replies.