PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

stoker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 19, 2014
a very cool find, combining two of my favorite hobbies hunting and tobacco.
http://westerndigs.org/ice-age-hunting-camp-replete-with-bird-bones-and-tobacco-found-in-utah-desert/

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Very Interesting. Damn! I want to type something political.....
But I'll just type very interesting instead.

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
Fantastic !! Thanks for posting Stoker.
Last I checked, it was believed that cucurbits were the earliest plants to be cultivated, and planted again from seeds in the Americas and the date was around 7000-9000 BP. This was in South and Meso-America and the source wasn't 21st century. Nothing cultivated AND this old has been found in North America.
When they were hauling these seeds around, the oldest temple in the world was being/already built. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G%C3%B6bekli_Tepe That discovery pushed back dates for agriculture and technology as well.
Amazing stuff. :puffy:

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Pretty cool. With tobacco and the Columbian Mammoth now in the mix I wonder what will be next.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
If you plant them I would imagine the resulting tobacco would be Captain Black as you can leave a pouch of that unsealed for 12,000 years and it would still be smokable with all the preservatives and topping in the stuff. :laughat:

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
+1 with pipedreamin and the rest! THANK YOU for posting this link and article!! I thought it was absolutely fascinating!! When I was a boy(living in SLC UT), we used to go out to near the Dugway Proving Grounds (don't know if that's the same or near the place in the article... most go back and read carefully) and search for geodes! Walk along the road, maybe 15 to 20 yards off, and find them... just laying there on top! Now, over 50 years later, I still have a big beauty geode sitting on the mantel piece. I seem to recall, the odd nat-am artifact would show up... never thought they could be 12,000 year old ice agers!! How exciting!!

Status
Not open for further replies.