Pipes Magazine » Pipe Talk

Tags:   

11th Homemade Briar With Bamboo - Hishaku

(12 posts)
  1. joshremy

joshremy

Login to Send PM

What was supposed to be my tenth pipe actually turned into a block of kindling when I accidentally carved through the shank into the shaft. So I set it aside.... and made the Army First Infantry Division Tribute Pipe.

But then I got some great bamboo... I cut the shank off to broken pipe, and turned the now miniature pipe bowl into a mini church warden about 10.5 inches long that looks like a Hishaku - a Japanese Bamboo Water Ladle!

So here she is: R11 - Hishaku - a Japanese Bamboo Water Ladle!

"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." - G. K. Chesterton
    Posted 1 year ago #
  2. bigboi

bigboi

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Wow, you are turning out some great pipes

“I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgement in all human affairs.”
    -Albert Einstein, 1950
    Posted 1 year ago #
  3. jharvard

jharvard

Login to Send PM

Very nice pipe. Do you smoke from the pipes you make? If so, how is this pipe? Thanks for sharing. Cheers!

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Another very interesting design, Josh!

So when are you going to start selling these creations? Any plans for taking consignments?

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. uberam3rica

Uberam3rica

Mod

Login to Send PM

Thats pretty cool. Smart thinking using the bowl from the pipe you accidentally messed up. Only thing I'd add is a mouth piece at the end.

As long as I got a pipe full of baccy and a nose full of snuff, I'm a happy camper
    Cigarettes are an addiction, cigars are a hobby, pipes are a religion
    Posted 1 year ago #
  6. captainprophesy

captainprophesy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

What a great save... Turned out very nice and I like it.

I carry a gun... because a cop is too heavy!
    Posted 1 year ago #
  7. joshremy

joshremy

Login to Send PM

I actually thought about adding a mouth piece but: at 10.5 inches its too long to be a clencher, and the shank is only about 5/16th inch in diameter so its too small for any bit or mouth piece I would have, so I left it looking the part of a Hishaku.

I actually have another damaged block that I plan on doing another bamboo stem with a mouth piece. It will look more like an old clay with reed stem, and it will have a short mouth piece. I had made an order with Mr. Brog for some briar blocks, but he ended up being out of stock, so my order was refunded, but he sent me a slightly damaged block for free. Yay!

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. dragonslayer

dragonslayer

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Great save and imagination as usual Josh! What's up next...Some mammoth tusk?

“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.” Patrick Henry
    Posted 1 year ago #
  9. joshremy

joshremy

Login to Send PM

haha!, I'd love to do a mammoth tusk! even a regular antler would be cool!

Posted 1 year ago #
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

lildutchboy

Login to Send PM

You seem to be developing the contrasting rim as a sort of signature. But just as i say that I'm sure you'll jump in another direction.

When can we start buying joshremy originals? I'd do awful things for the pot o gold.

Posted 1 year ago #
  11. mctrav

mctrav

Login to Send PM

Love this one as well as the others..love the no mouthpiece al'natural

Posted 1 year ago #
  12. joshremy

joshremy

Login to Send PM

Lately I've been trying different designs and styles.
    I might actually do one of my previous styles and see about putting it up for sale or bid sometime soon.
    Right now I'm waiting on some more blocks coming in, so I'm just playing around with a broken block and one or two remaining blocks I have left.

I'd say, unless inspiration for another design hits me (aside from 2 I'm currently working on), I might put one up about 3 pipes from now. ... Who knows maybe it will be another Pot O' Gold!

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   bigvan, pipestud, speryno, newbroom, mrenglish, samanden, joemcdds