PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmatt

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 25, 2014
It seems like I've seen Lane 1-Q mentioned 1,000 times in threads here, and I almost never see people talk about Lane's BCA. Yet when I check out tobaccoreviews, BCA is an aromatic with over 100 reviews and an average rating of 3.2 while 1-Q is an aromatic with over 100 reviews and a rating of 2.7. That seems like a statistically significant difference in rating.
So what is it about 1-Q that gets it so many mentions around here while BCA gets ignored? I have BCA on hand (wife likes the room note) but I've never tried 1-Q.

Jan 8, 2013
BCA was mentioned a couple times in this thread recently. Once by me. http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/my-comfort-blend

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
That is a very good question...for which I don't have an answer?? I keep both on hand at all times and enjoy both very much with 1Q taking a slight preference. My wife smokes and enjoys both as well but gives a slight preference to BC-A. :puffy:

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
I am not pretending to know their recipes or anything but my opinion of smoking these three lane favourites...
1Q = BCA + virginias

RLP-6 = 1Q + burley
I prefer RLP-6.
Isaac.

csibuk

Lurker
Jul 12, 2015
Cavan, Ontario, Canada
ray47, that is exactly what I have been doing - and I am also very happy with the result. That 1Q+BCA mix is great! (Also, BCA is excellent for "taming" some harsher tobaccos)

thefalcon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 23, 2012
Lane limited's 1Q is the best selling/ Probably smelling pipe Tobacco in the US, as far as Aromatics go. Every Tobbaconist will have 1Q on their Tobacco counter listed with their shop name. At Tinder Box for example, it is Wilshire, named after the Original store in Sana Monica, on Wilshire BLVD. Commercially it is sold as Captain Black Royal. Now for BCA it is a Burley base with Virginia and toasted Black Cavendish. It too will be found in practically every Tobaccconist in the US also named by the individual shop. Commercially sold as Captain Black White, the best selling commercial Pipe Tobacco in the world and has been since the 60's in the aromatic genre. This blend was developed by Herman Lane, although he hated the stuff to compete with all the aromatics that were hitting the scene in the 60's. Hope this helps.
Cheers,--Eric

briarhillgeoff

Might Stick Around
Nov 8, 2014
Even though I usually smoke mild English through the day - ie Frog Morton or Old Dublin, I love having a big bowl of 1Q each night after supper with my coffee. I haven't tried BCA but I have tried RLP-6 which I thought was the Captain Black White version? I find RLP-6 very close to MacB 7 Seas Regular (white).

thefalcon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 23, 2012
I haven't tried BCA but I have tried RLP-6 which I thought was the Captain Black White version?
I do believe your right on this, RLP-6 = Captain Black White, memory not what it used to be.
Lane's 1Q = Captain Black Royal I will try and confirm this later, as I have an old Lane dealers Catalog.
Cheers, --Eric

thefalcon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 23, 2012
Yes, memory seems to be returning, BCA is the all Black Cavendish, correct?
Cheers,--Eric

msandoval858

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
1Q probably gets more praise just because it is so common and readily available. As mentioned above, I doubt there's a single tobacco shop in the country that doesn't have it. Although there's probably a lot guys out there smoking 1Q under a house blend name and don't even know it.

rottingcorpse

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2015
BCA my favorite by far, because it's the mellowest tobacco in my opinion and quite tasty.. I mention it a lot. I always got a chemical taste out of 1Q, but that's probably just me.

Status
Not open for further replies.