PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

kmatt77

Lurker
Feb 4, 2024
Hello all. Cigar smoker but have a couple cheap pipes that I've only ever used to finish off my cigars. I have zero knowledge about pipes but enjoy using them. I recently bought three pipes at a yard sale for $2 each . First time buying used pipes. Mainly bought them because I liked the way they looked. Later took the time to look a little closer for markings, googled said markings and now sitting in disbelief because of the possible value of two of them. So here is what the markings say. Pipe 1: Dunhill Shell made in England 5120. Pipe 2: Dunhill Cumberland made in England 4103. Pipe 3: Duke Dr. Grabow Imported Briar Italy. After seeing the possible value of 1 and 2 I wanted to come here to ask the experts. So please, if anyone could educate me on what I actually have I would greatly appreciate it.1000001417.jpg1000001419.jpg1000001420.jpg1000001421.jpg1000001422.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

burleybreath

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 29, 2019
Finger Lakes area, New York, USA
I think you already know what you got. Nice work. For price, see what they're actually going for on ebay. Select a few, click the "add to watch list" gizmo, and get an approximation of what they'd sell for, cleaned up. Hope they don't have teeth marks, heat fissures inside the bowl, split shanks, etc. They look pretty good to me, as far as I can tell from the photos. Dunhills are one of the main "collectible" marques, and have been around for about a century.

kmatt77

Lurker
Feb 4, 2024
I think you already know what you got. Nice work. For price, see what they're actually going for on ebay. Select a few, click the "add to watch list" gizmo, and get an approximation of what they'd sell for, cleaned up. Hope they don't have teeth marks, heat fissures inside the bowl, split shanks, etc. They look pretty good to me, as far as I can tell from the photos. Dunhills are one of the main "collectible" marques, and have been around for about a century.
Thank you for the info and suggestion. Before my Google search I had zero knowledge about Dunhill so I needed confirmation to be sure. I was worried someone would tell me they're fake or something. Now I need to search how to clean them properly.