Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Aug 27, 2023
I wonder. Is it just Cohibas or do they frown upon Monte’s and Partagas too?
We most definitely do not frown on Cohibas. We love Cohibas and all other premium cigars at our shop. Unfortunately, the State of Wisconsin says they can not be smoked in our shop.

Aug 27, 2023
A great many members will have been eagerly awaiting this wee rant. So. here 'tis!

I might, years ago, have sought reeds and such from The Happy Piper but, alas. I could never master the chanter. As most here understand, I detest the misapplication of the term "piper". I'm guessing those that insist on such misapplication are making a lame attempt a making pipe smoking "softer" and perhaps sway the "antis" in their quest to snuff out smoking entirely. Lotsa luck with that tactic.

We smoke pipes! I doubt very few of us play the fife, tootle on a flute or manipulate the "War Pipes." To so misuse the term is denigrating to pipers the world over who have invested the hours of practice, not to mention the expense of the instruments and lessons required to merit the appellation "piper."

So, any "smoke" shop trying to appease or escape the notice of the "anti-smoking" crowd through such misapplication would certainly not be welcoming! Of course the oversized, "Cigars", "Cigars" would most likely negate such an intention. I just, for the life of me, cannot understand why some pipe smokers wish to obscure the fact that they are., in fact, smokers! Are they embarrassed? Mortified?

I thank you for your kind and, I'm sure, serious attention and consideration to this wee rant.:sher:
Everybody is entitled to an opinion.

Aug 27, 2023
One county over from us. We'll definitely check it out and report back to y'all.

However they choose to describe the nature of their business, if they have a good crowd and things I want to buy, I will happily travel to them.
Hope to see you soon!
The Happy Piper
2006 Center Avenue
Janesville WI

Aug 27, 2023
I live within walking distance of this place. The man is very knowledgeable when it comes to pipes and cigars, and I try to give them all my business, even if it means paying more for a tin than I would online. About the quote from the Gazette about not smoking inside the establishment. The first time I went in, I asked him if he had plans for a lounge. He did. The government of Wisconsin said no. Some might say, but there are other lounges in Wisconsin, and there are, but from what he said they have been grandfathered in. No new lounges in the state.
Thank you so much for the kind words! We're glad you enjoy the shop! Hope to see you again soon!

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Thank you for the good wishes! I can assure you that we are not bastardly in any sense of the word. We turned an old rundown gas station into a beautiful pipe and cigar shop and look forward to many years here.
good to hear. I hope you can stay in business successful long enough that all of us get a chance or two to give some patronage.

Reactions: The Happy Piper

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Yes sir, Wisconsin has some of the most restrictive laws regarding tobacco. It's a state law that restricts smoking in my shop. I do have plans to create a comfortable outdoor smoking area in the future. Thank you for reading the whole article, even as badly as it was written.
my state got in on the early no smoking in businesses and even they thought a pipe or cigar shop should allow smoking inside. Funny I generally agree with the no smoking in public businesses and such but at a smoke shop is just nuts.

Reactions: The Happy Piper

HeavyLeadBelly

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 9, 2023
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Glad to see another shop open up in WI! I’ll have to swing by if I’m ever in the area, and I would have drove down if I were still in Madison as the Tasting Room has diddly squat for pipes. As long as the first thing you talk to me about isn’t politics, like the owner of a certain briar themed shop in La Crosse is prone to do, I might find myself coming back :)