PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

--dante--

Lifer
Jun 11, 2020
Pittsburgh, PA USA
I've found an old tin of University Flake in my basement (I use to cellar tobacco all over the place down there. It would have been purchased sometime after 2005 but probably not much later than 2009 or so. It's one of the older, rectangular tins with no tobacco warnings (here in the US), same as my old cellared Irish Flake tins. I'm curious about it's age, given that at some point the Peterson offerings went to the larger, round tins for everything. Anyone remember when that switch occured?

Reactions: seanv
Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
I've found an old tin of University Flake in my basement (I use to cellar tobacco all over the place down there. It would have been purchased sometime after 2005 but probably not much later than 2009 or so. It's one of the older, rectangular tins with no tobacco warnings (here in the US), same as my old cellared Irish Flake tins. I'm curious about it's age, given that at some point the Peterson offerings went to the larger, round tins for everything. Anyone remember when that switch occured?
I don’t think the switchover happened all at once. I’m pretty sure some of the Dunhill-branded flakes still came in rectangular tins close to 2017 or so. If you look up the long number next to the bar code on the back, we should be able to help date it exactly.

--dante--

Lifer
Jun 11, 2020
Pittsburgh, PA USA
I don’t think the switchover happened all at once. I’m pretty sure some of the Dunhill-branded flakes still came in rectangular tins close to 2017 or so. If you look up the long number next to the bar code on the back, we should be able to help date it exactly.
The number below (and separate) from the barcode is 0707100511

Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
Thanks! That's about what I thought. Now it's just a question of crack it open now, or wait until it's 20th birthday :)
I've got a tin of Dunhill Elizabethan Mixture that just passed its 10th birthday. I debated opening it on the occasion of QE2's passing, but I already had so many VaPers open, I decided to wait...

Durhamshire

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 31, 2024
UK
I love Peterson 3 P's, but do think the tin is a total waste. Most of tin is empty. Could be sold wrapped in paper close to the plug. Just like Condor & War Horse Bar was.