PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

K.E. Powell

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 20, 2022
West Virginia
This brief but excellent video dives into some of the history of the Mail Pouch Tobacco imagery seen all throughout rural Appalachia, particularly in my neck of the woods, Wheeling, WV. The subject of the video, Harley Warrick, was one of the men who made some of his living painting barns and advertising Mail Pouch tobacco.

The old Wheeling Stogie factory has been unoccupied and for sale for some time, a reminder of a time gone by. It's a piece of history that in some ways, can induce a little bit of melancholy to me. I can't say it is a past I am nostalgic for; I was of age around the time the factory shut down. Seeing the Wheeling Stogie sign and the building gradually but surely atrophy with time, however, is still jarring, a reminder of more prosperous times.

Still, even as a kid, I remember seeing these barns all the time, and one can still see them if they drive out to the country. It's great to learn why they are so ubiquitous. Hope you guys enjoy this video as much as I did.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
This brief but excellent video dives into some of the history of the Mail Pouch Tobacco imagery seen all throughout rural Appalachia, particularly in my neck of the woods, Wheeling, WV. The subject of the video, Harley Warrick, was one of the men who made some of his living painting barns and advertising Mail Pouch tobacco.

The old Wheeling Stogie factory has been unoccupied and for sale for some time, a reminder of a time gone by. It's a piece of history that in some ways, can induce a little bit of melancholy to me. I can't say it is a past I am nostalgic for; I was of age around the time the factory shut down. Seeing the Wheeling Stogie sign and the building gradually but surely atrophy with time, however, is still jarring, a reminder of more prosperous times.

Still, even as a kid, I remember seeing these barns all the time, and one can still see them if they drive out to the country. It's great to learn why they are so ubiquitous. Hope you guys enjoy this video as much as I did.
yeah we had a few barns with those paintings around here. One in walking distance from the house I grew up in.

Reactions: K.E. Powell and SBC

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Marsh-Wheeling are one of the few cigars I really love and you don't see them around as much these days. I may be wrong but I think these were the preferred cigar smoked by General Grant if I am not mistaken.

Reactions: K.E. Powell