PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Buffalo

Can't Leave
Oct 8, 2022
Central Nebraska
I just wanted to echo the statements others have made here. 558 is a fantastic smoke, as is Old Dominion. If you like something tangier, Simply Red is also a great smoke as well!

Reactions: briarfoxx

lightxmyfire

Can't Leave
Jun 17, 2019
DMV Area
I too have found this blend to be a favorite! So joining the chorus. Below is the little review/notes I wrote for myself.

WCC 588 — This smells great in the tin, like woody sweet tobacco, a little bready vanilla like note. It’s easy to rub out and needs just a little drying. The smoke is sweet and woody off the bat, tastes a bit like the tin note, there are some really interesting floral notes that come and go. It’s very bready and more woody as the bowl continues, little spots of that floral note still pop up. At about 2/3 the perique starts to show up more. It’s not very forward through most of this blend. It’s very plum like, very little pepper here and there, and it melds well with the bready flavors that continue to be the backbone of this blend. Overall this blend is lightly sweet with plenty of flavor, it’s easy going yet still complex. I enjoy this one! (6 Months later) The above holds true. The perique nose tingle can be very present in some bowls, that acidic tang/sting in a good way. When smoked slow and very cool, this blend is fantastic. I would stock up this.

DotAndBang’sPipes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 27, 2016
Orlando, FL
I just smoked some 558 and OD this week- for the first time. I found them similar, but the barnyard “pouch smell” of the 558 is what stands out. I always end up liking these heavy perique blends. I did find myself wondering, “what other blends is 558 similar too, from other manufacturers?” I know there are other “barnyard blends” but I couldn’t remember which ones. I almost thought I smelled something that reminded me a bit of Sut’s 2021 Cringle Flake. I’ll be ordering more WC blends.