PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

withnail

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2011
United Kingdom
http://www.handsoffourpacks.com/
The British Government has started the consultation process for proposed legislation that will require all tobacco products to be sold in plain packets. The idea is that cigarettes, hand rolling and pipe tobacco will all be sold in a single coloured pack with just the product name along with the health warning and a vivid anti-smoking image. If you wish to sign a petition to register you opposition to this proposed new law or want more information about it, please see the above website from FOREST (Freedom Organisation for the Right to Enjoy Smoking Tobacco).
Remember - the government has already banned; Tobacco advertising & sponsorship, Smoking in enclosed public places, Cigarette and Tobacco vending machines and the upcoming ban on the Display of Tobacco products in all retail outlets. The justification for even more restrictions is that plain packets will stop children from taking up smoking, despite a lack of evidence that this will make a difference.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
wow, the gov. must think that the children r attracted to the colors, for gods sake, it just a no end situation. Our Gov here aint put that idea into play yet. but if the Brit. gov does, then i imagine it will be the next foolish thing here too!

withnail

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2011
United Kingdom
I agree, but in all honesty if the tobacco doesnt change who cares what the container looks like?
The reasons I am personally against this include - It will make counterfeit tobacco products (which is a real problem here in the UK) even easier. There is no reason to suppose that, in the long term absence of advertising, pack design leads to people taking up smoking. Where will this sort of legislation end? Plain beer bottles with pictures of diseased livers, sweet wrappers or take away boxes with pictures of a fat encased heart?
Finally, as I smoke several different blends, it would make it harder to just reach into my tobacco box and pick up the tin I want, without having to go through them all. It is another attempt to alienate smokers who enjoy a legal pass time and who generate a massive amount of tax revenue! puts soap box away

majilton

Might Stick Around
Jan 18, 2012
whitnail is correct contraband tobbaccos are a big problem here in the uk and this makes it much easier mikes correct the pictures of dideased lungs ect are bad theres even one dead on a morgue table.its madness to the extreame

oakbear

Might Stick Around
Dec 27, 2011
UK
I know it sounds silly, but i think i'd miss browsing a selection in order to decide what to try.

They are also talking about taking tobacco displays down, so it'd be under the counter or in a cupboard!

A cupoboard full of blank packets, aside from pictures of diseased lungs and dirty syringes!
I can see it with discouraging younger people from cigarette smoking, but for pipes?

Status
Not open for further replies.