PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

BriarBrook

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 8, 2022
Missouri
So there is a pipe I have been after for quite some time. The only place I've been able to find it is in the UK. It is a reputable shop in North Yorkshire. I can't pay via CC due to regulations and I can't pay via wire transfer because my bank doesn't do international wires. IF I could find someone in this area of the UK to purchase the pipe and ship it to me (I would, of course, compensate them and add a finder's fee) is that legal? Or are you just not supposed to ship pipes out of the UK, period? It's strange, because I'm pretty sure I see pipes shipping out of Germany and Poland on ebay, but maybe the UK has even stricter laws. Any help would be appreciated.

Reactions: JOHN72

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
I've had pipes and tobacco shipped to me from the UK multiple times with no problems.
The key is finding someone you know who is able and willing.

• Haha
Reactions: JOHN72

Andre_T

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 17, 2018
Long Island, New York
This is why I maintain friendships with friends in the UK. Also it helps when I buy football kits off ebay. I send it to my friend in Taunton and when there are enough 5-6 I ask her to ship them. Also of auctions that have free UK shipping and $25 USD shipping to the US. I'd rather ask her to ship them all and pay 25-30 USD and take her out to dinner when she is here.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
So there is a pipe I have been after for quite some time. The only place I've been able to find it is in the UK. It is a reputable shop in North Yorkshire. I can't pay via CC due to regulations and I can't pay via wire transfer because my bank doesn't do international wires. IF I could find someone in this area of the UK to purchase the pipe and ship it to me (I would, of course, compensate them and add a finder's fee) is that legal? Or are you just not supposed to ship pipes out of the UK, period? It's strange, because I'm pretty sure I see pipes shipping out of Germany and Poland on ebay, but maybe the UK has even stricter laws. Any help would be appreciated.
If I understand it's more of a pain in the backside then out right not allowed. More of a the extra hassle isn't worth the gain. There is also always the chance that many shops think because they can't ship you tobacco that they can't ship pipes. Another chance they're sick of people trying to weasel them into shipping tobacco along with the pipe....

Reactions: DeerparkDays

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I know that a few years ago that US law stated that pipe paraphernal had to be made from non toxic materials. Which is a fine fine rule, except the implementation was slap dash as heck and lots of pipes got sent back or got delayed. My last pipe I ordered from the u.k. a falcon bowl and stem took a long time to get through because of this (I knew to expect it). The issue was the custom agents got told this is the new rule it's important to follow and got zero help with what is or isn't toxic and what the precise protocol to follow was. So I could see as a vendor looking at my bottom line and the potential issues and go either way with it.

LOREN

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2019
Illinois -> Florida
Would the establishment accept a financial institution’s cashiers check? I’ve done that with individuals in England but never with a business.

cersono

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2016
Vallis Lacrimarum
You don't even need to bother a friend with helping you with your purchase. There are special services for that. Google for "parcel forwarding service". There are several in the UK. For a small fee they would receive and forward to you (or even buy for you from their own ebay account) whatever you please. I used such services several times when I needed to have a "Domestic shipping only" ebay item delivered to a third world country.