PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

FRed3137

Lurker
Mar 13, 2024
I'm fairly new to the tobacco world, as previous posts suggests i've been a cigar smoker for a few years now and i'm venturing into the vast world of pipe smoking.
I'm trying to make sense of all the different tobacco leaves names that's being mentioned in different blends.
It is rather confusing and intriguing at the same time.

Does anyone have a sheet of all the names, what are the characteristics, strength, nicotine level(if that's even possible)?
Or just a good link to a website for some informative reading?

Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: AroEnglish
For making your way through the marketing copy on tins, the main two are burleys and Virginias. And, your main condimentals are perique, latakia, and Orientals. There are literally hundreds of oriental varieties, but very rare to see more than the word 'Orientals" on tins. Cigar leaf is a condimental; that is also used the same way the word "orientals" is used.

There are many, many more varieties, and varieties within varieties, like Virginia is a term used to cover Ukranian leaf, Canadian gold, yellow, orange, red, and brown color cures, etc... many more than I can list. Burley is almost the same.

But, for marketing copy, Virginias, burley, perique, latakia, and cigar is going to be what you mostly see listed.

Cavendish is a process, and Virginias and burleys can be used in this process.

I just realized that I just gave you an unexplained list. Maybe this will help.

Burley is a base PH, non sweet leaf, that has a sufficient nicotine easily absorbed.
Virginias are sweeter acidic PH leaf that has a lot of nicotine, however, because of acidity can not be easily absorbed
Perique adds a range of flavors from sweetly spicey to peppery.
Latakia is smokey, campfire, leathery, musty old books flavor.
Orientals can add anything from perfumey, floral, to church incense flavors.
Cigar is cigar leaf

Cavendish has no flavor, but because it is an excellent way to push flavors into the leaf, many blenders do use the process to add flavors, but it does not inherently have a flavor.

I hope that better helps.

FRed3137

Lurker
Mar 13, 2024
I just realized that I just gave you an unexplained list. Maybe this will help.

Burley is a base PH, non sweet leaf, that has a sufficient nicotine easily absorbed.
Virginias are sweeter acidic PH leaf that has a lot of nicotine, however, because of acidity can not be easily absorbed
Perique adds a range of flavors from sweetly spicey to peppery.
Latakia is smokey, campfire, leathery, musty old books flavor.
Orientals can add anything from perfumey, floral, to church incense flavors.
Cigar is cigar leaf

Cavendish has no flavor, but because it is an excellent way to push flavors into the leaf, many blenders do use the process to add flavors, but it does not inherently have a flavor.

I hope that better helps.
Thank you!

Also, knowing genres of pipe tobacco is helpful. However, not all tobaccos easily fit into genres.

Aromatics have an aromatic topping added to make the tobaccos smell different from just tobacco. For example, vanilla, cherry, etc... Aromatics from England are called Lakelands because guys who smoke these do not want to admit that they like an aromatic because they lack the fortitude to be openly aromatic. I guess we could call these guys closeted aromatic lovers. Ha ha.

Virginias are mostly Virginia blends.

VaPers, blends of Virginia and Perique, can be sweet and spicey or peppery.

Burleys are... blends that have mostly burleys.

Codger blends are burley blends or virginia burley blends that have a heavy casing, or even a topping to add aroma to the smoke. They are best defined as classic blends sold in grocery stores and gas stations.... also known as OTC blends.

Latakia blends (I hate calling them English blends because it is stupid) but these are blends that have latakia.

Balkans are a subgenre of Latakia blends that are all emulating the original Balkan Sobrane form the 50's or whenever. They have latakia but also have blends of Orientals to give them a depth and incense like flavor.

Cigar blends
, self explanatory, but they do not intend to smoke like a cigar, because as any cigar guy will know already, you get most of the flavor from the leaf touching your lips.

There are some blends that just don't fit neatly into any of these categories.

Also, casings, not all but most blends are cased, which means that something was added before blending to adjust the flavors of the tobacco. Usually this is either to add a proprietorial flavor or keep blends consistently tasting the same year after year.

Toppings are aromatics added to the tobacco to substantially change the aroma of the blends.

The terms casing and topping are not interchangeable.

FRed3137

Lurker
Mar 13, 2024
Also, knowing genres of pipe tobacco is helpful. However, not all tobaccos easily fit into genres.

Aromatics have an aromatic topping added to make the tobaccos smell different from just tobacco. For example, vanilla, cherry, etc... Aromatics from England are called Lakelands because guys who smoke these do not want to admit that they like an aromatic because they lack the fortitude to be openly aromatic. I guess we could call these guys closeted aromatic lovers. Ha ha.

Codger blends are burley blends or virginia burley blends that have a heavy casing, or even a topping to add aroma to the smoke. They are best defined as classic blends sold in grocery stores and gas stations.... also known as OTC blends.

Latakia blends (I hate calling them English blends because it is stupid) but these are blends that have latakia.

Balkans are a subgenre of Latakia blends that are all emulating the original Balkan Sobrane form the 50's or whenever. They have latakia but also have blends of Orientals to give them a depth and incense like flavor.

Cigar blends, self explanatory, but they do not intend to smoke like a cigar, because as any cigar guy will know already, you get most of the flavor from the leaf touching your lips.

Also, casings, not all but most blends are cased, which means that something was added before blending to adjust the flavors of the tobacco. Usually this is either to add a proprietorial flavor or keep blends consistently tasting the same year after year.

Toppings are aromatics added to the tobacco to substantially change the aroma of the blends.

Very helpful! Thanks

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

Piping Abe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 27, 2021
Georgia, USA

Cigar blends, self explanatory, but they do not intend to smoke like a cigar, because as any cigar guy will know already, you get most of the flavor from the leaf touching your lips.

Is there not a sticky on the site explaining this to beginners? If not, this should be it

Next you'll tell us that Straight VAs contain mostly VAs... 🤓
It does. Most companies do add a tad bit of burley, as Jeremy told us on here. This is to add balance to the flavor and possibly balance out the PH a tad. Also, many may add a touch of perique to aid in aging, but not enough to change the overall flavor, it can still be a pure Virginia, but not a VaPer... OGS is one of these. But, many also add a touch.

Reactions: Bbailey324

proteus

Lifer
May 20, 2023
Connecticut (shade leaf tobacco country)
To be more specific Tobacco Encyclopedia page 363 onward in part two Articles has tons of tobacco information. Part one is tons of definitions. I was looking through my library further and found my copy of Milton Sherman's All About Tobacco which is also a great resource.

FRed3137

Lurker
Mar 13, 2024
To be more specific Tobacco Encyclopedia page 363 onward in part two Articles has tons of tobacco information. Part one is tons of definitions. I was looking through my library further and found my copy of Milton Sherman's All About Tobacco which is also a great resource.
I've yet to find a place that sells them in Canada. Amazon has them for way too much.

HeavyLeadBelly

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 9, 2023
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
lot of great comments on this but one thing you could do, and I’ve been thinking about doing it as well, is to get an ounce of each of the blending tobaccos like Latakia, perique, etc, and try them. You should be able to build your palate so it’s easier to pick out these flavored in the blends you smoke.