PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

jiberish

Lurker
Sep 14, 2022
Been a piper for 2 years and just got my first estate pipe.

So I went out to a local antique shop and picked up my first estate pipe. Looks like it's a mauro armellini verona. Would love any other info you got! 20220914_213237.jpg20220914_213254.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

jiberish

Lurker
Sep 14, 2022
I think so as well! Any ideas for how to clean the briar itself? I'd hate to ruin the finish on accident.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
That’ll clean up nice!

Edit: Lots of info online about the maker. Pipedia is your friend
^^^^
Second that suggestion
Pipedia is a great resource.
As is Pipephil

I think so as well! Any ideas for how to clean the briar itself? I'd hate to ruin the finish on accident.
Lots of threads on cleaning up old pipes on the Forums
Go to the "Pipe Repair and Maintenance" section.
Good advice and hints

Otherwise look up Rebornpipes.
Steve Laug has step-by-step instructions, with lots of before and after photos
I took my "baby steps" in cleaning estates after reading Steve's posts

Good luck with the job.
It's not as difficult or as daunting as you may think.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I like that detail on the band. Nice pipe, but be sure to give it a good clean before using.

There are lots of good suggestions on cleaning up old pipes on here. Just go slow and take your time. Also it is quite addicting restoring and cleaning up old pipes, so watch out!

Reactions: trudger and OzPiper

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
Been a piper for 2 years and just got my first estate pipe.

So I went out to a local antique shop and picked up my first estate pipe. Looks like it's a mauro armellini verona. Would love any other info you got! View attachment 169264View attachment 169265
Very cool find!

Keep any alcohol or abrasive solvents away from the outside of the briar or it will strip the finish. If you are concerned about the outside, just some water and maybe some super mild soap is more than enough. Definitely do some searching and take your time with it.

Cleaning the stem is easy with pipe cleaners and alcohol. The pipe will likely need a good salt soak and cleaning inside with alcohol. Again, research first. I am not giving too much specific instructions as they are various ways and some appeal more than others which can turn it into a personal preference.

Welcome, have fun, and enjoy!

Reactions: OzPiper

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Spit and a rag.

As for information, here are two sites that offer plenty of it, some of it even correct:

BTW, nice looking pipe!

Reactions: OzPiper

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Nice pipe! I've had several Armellini pipes over the years, and still have one. Rather underrated pipes, and good smokers. I'd be more concerned about cleaning the inside of the pipe first. Just follow the advice received above.

jiberish

Lurker
Sep 14, 2022
Thanks for all the replys and advice! I got the inside cleaned with ever clear and lots of pipe cleaners. And the briar and rim cleaned with a towel and water, let it dry completely then had a bowl of a local English blend. Definitely my best smoking pipe, very smooth and fits well in the mouth and hand.

Reactions: trudger and OzPiper

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
Thanks for all the replys and advice! I got the inside cleaned with ever clear and lots of pipe cleaners. And the briar and rim cleaned with a towel and water, let it dry completely then had a bowl of a local English blend. Definitely my best smoking pipe, very smooth and fits well in the mouth and hand.
That's exactly what I would have done! Pretty much my process for estate purchases. Enjoy!

Reactions: jiberish

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think the briar just needs a vigorous hand buffing with a soft cloth. I don't see how applying polish or wax that would leave residue would improve it other than slick it up slightly. I'd just clean the stem in dish detergent and clean out the airway with pipe cleaners. It's a fine pipe pretty much as-is. People get over-exercised and do damage to what is already fine.