PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jbfrady

Can't Leave
Jul 27, 2023
South Carolina
New experiences keep us sharp. Trying new things, changing routines, and creating novel moments have been shown to be the key to keeping your brain functioning like new and forbidding days from running together in an abysmal blur.

I've started using tobacco for that purpose. If I get my hands on a rare tin, or simply one I'm excited to try but haven't, I designate it for an occasion.

At Muletown, I brought 3. An HU Dockworker (shout out to @WerewolfOfLondon for making me seek it out), a Bjarne's Flake de Luxe, and a tin of Davidoff Flake Medallions accompanied my companions and myself throughout the trip.

I'll never be able to try any of those tobaccos again without being transported by to those moments in Columbia, TN, nor would I have it any other way.

Do you use tobaccos to root memories? If so, let's have an example!

Scottmi

Lifer
Oct 15, 2022
Orcas, WA
Going to Briarworks last year is a memory I enjoy. The pipe and new tobacco I bought there, both of which I enjoy, is incidental. Does the pipe (and Sam's Flake) remind me of the visit? Yes indeed - so yeah, I get you! But I didn't buy them for that reason..they follow, not lead...

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Not intentionally but it certainly happens. Often it's a combo of conditions, season, general location, and blend. Like wow I was smoking this two years ago around this time in this place when that weird thing happened or sometimes even just think love this damp grey weather.

Reactions: jbfrady

WerewolfOfLondon

Can't Leave
Jun 8, 2023
London
Two years ago I was in Hastings with the Mrs, and there was a huge storm. Down on the shore you couldn't see past the end of your nose because of the mist being whipped up from the wind and the sea. That evening the storm still hadn't calmed down. We were in her sister's gaff, with smoking being forbidden inside. Normally of course, I would just flout these tyrannical in-law laws, but this time I decided to acquiesce as I was determind to smoke a bowl outside in the storm. I managed to get it lit by poking my head inside the shed, and once lit, it stayed lit, with the smoke itself lasting about ten minutes due to all the oxygen being forced through the pipe. Now every time I have a bowl of Peterson Flake, I am transported right back to that fierce and vitalising day in Hastings.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I don't put much thought into smoking so a no from me. Events with family and friends, movies, songs and certain smells are my memory triggers.

Reactions: jbfrady