PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Having just started smoking pipes again after about a 20 year hiatus, and trying to use the tobacco I saved from that time, I decided I needed something new (and fresh) to try. After reading some of the tobacco reviews here, I ordered 3 new blends to try.

First up was the Erinmore Flake: At first I was impressed with the nose from the tin, fruity and well, just different than anything I had ever tried before. Upon lighting up, I was again struck by the fruity notes from the smoke. There was something familiar about the taste and smell of this tobacco that I just couldn't put my finger on. I kept thinking about the "juicy fruit" references made about it, but that wasn't it. My wife said she was loving the fragrance, while I was fleming like a cat trying to figure out this flavor just out of reach in my mind. After about 5 minutes I looked at my wife and said "Lemon Pledge"! This led to a heated discussion about my mental state, with me finally saying, "yeah, I'm probably wrong". But gee whiz, it's not that I didn't like it, I just couldn't figure out why this seemed so familiar to me. Maybe I'll figure it out after a few more bowls.

Next was the Sutliff Molto Dolce: Opening the tin, it was all I could do not to put some in my mouth! I just knew this had to be a crumbled up carmel rum cake of some sort. Both my wife and I loved this stuff in small bowls. I can't imagine smoking a large bowl of this, it seems so rich! This blend will be a substitute for dessert for us for some time. Thoroughly delightful! But I wouldn't be surprised to catch my wife sneaking a pinch in her cheek some day. Let's hope not.

Lastly I tried the Sutliff Blend NO. 5: This was a nice surprise too. The last English style I tried was Dunhill's Early Morning Smoke. I have always liked the strong latakia flavor from this. Almost like smoking bacon in your pipe. This was a good compromise, some latakia notes, mellowed by the other tobaccos in the mix. The more I smoked it the more I enjoyed it. We thought this was mellow enough to smoke in the house, although we seem only to do that if it's too cold, (or hot) outside.
All in all, I'm very happy with these choices, and am looking forward to trying other blends in the future. Also thanks to the well written reviews that help make these selections much easier. We're just having so much fun on this site. Thanks to all responsible, Paul and Sylvia

shayde

Can't Leave
Oct 4, 2013
This is what I'm saying!!! Molto Dolce is a gift from above haha glad you enjoyed it! I didn't have time to read the others as I'm at work.

shayde

Can't Leave
Oct 4, 2013
Finally got to read the other two...by "Lemon Pledge" you wouldn't happen to be referring to the cleaning solution would you?!? 8O

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
Uh, unfortunately yeah, I was referring to that old furniture polish used in the 60's. I'm not sure if it's still made, or if it smells the same. (not sure I want to know either) I probably really am wrong about Erinmore smelling and tasting like that, it just popped into my mind for some reason. So try not to think about it anymore....

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
Yeah, I can agree with the Lemon Pledge similarity--like pushing your nose into a fresh, waxy Meyer lemon, though without the chemical aftertaste. And yes, SC Johnson (a family company) still makes the stuff.

Note that I actually went to the kitchen, sprayed some on the wall (don't tell the missus) to test, then stuck my face in a tin of Erinmore. Ah, Saturdays.... :puffy:

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
Seriously? You really did that? You're not just messin with an old man, are you? Otherwise, Wow, wait till my wife hears that! She'll probably want to go buy some now. (don't worry, I won't tell your wife) I thought it was just all in my mind. I have smoked a couple of more bowls of it, and I still like it for its unusual flavor, and it's really starting to grow on me now. I hope this isn't a gateway drug....

Status
Not open for further replies.