PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Big Head

Lurker
Aug 29, 2022
Upstate New York - Southern Tier
I am new to pipe collecting and posted a question on whether small pipes were a new trend back in August 2022. Since that time, I have added a dozen or so pipes to my collection and have read many of the pipe books that are around. Indeed, I thought I found the answer to my original question. Remembering I had posted, I came back to this site to follow-up. I was surprised to see how active this Forum turned out.

On one hand I was deeply embarrassed I had not returned to the Forum to check if anything went on before the thread was closed. On the other hand, I was delighted with the members who did interact. I want to personally thank everyone who took the time to add input and help me. I found the humor sharp and the reasons for small pipes spot on. Thank you, Brothers, for the education in sharing your knowledge.

The title of the thread " whether small pipes were a trend?" was a poor choice by me. After all, how is someone who just started to collect pipes know if somethings trending after only collecting less than six months? In my beginner's naivety, I thought all pipes were about the same size. Yep, I started out just buying based on pictures and my first dozen or so pipes were all about the same size (coincidence). Then I purchased a relatively expensive pipe only to be extremely disappointed that it was only 4.6 inches long. As I continued to collect, it seemed all the nice-looking pipes I liked at the time were less than 5 inches or less. Hence, in my small pipe-world, I thought a new trend was developing and wanted to know why.

Yeah, so the real question was actually why small pipes? You folks answered that question very thoroughly and I was surprised about the depth of the possible reasons. Thank you for taking the time to share your insight and in giving me an educational lesson, I will be viewing the Forum more often from here on out.

Last edited by a moderator:

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
I am new to pipe collecting and posted a question on whether small pipes were a new trend back in August 2022. Since that time, I have added a dozen or so pipes to my collection and have read many of the pipe books that are around. Indeed, I thought I found the answer to my original question. Remembering I had posted, I came back to this site to follow-up. I was surprised to see how active this Forum turned out.

On one hand I was deeply embarrassed I had not returned to the Forum to check if anything went on before the thread was closed. On the other hand, I was delighted with the members who did interact. I want to personally thank everyone who took the time to add input and help me. I found the humor sharp and the reasons for small pipes spot on. Thank you, Brothers, for the education in sharing your knowledge.

The title of the thread " whether small pipes were a trend?" was a poor choice by me. After all, how is someone who just started to collect pipes know if somethings trending after only collecting less than six months? In my beginner's naivety, I thought all pipes were about the same size. Yep, I started out just buying based on pictures and my first dozen or so pipes were all about the same size (coincidence). Then I purchased a relatively expensive pipe only to be extremely disappointed that it was only 4.6 inches long. As I continued to collect, it seemed all the nice-looking pipes I liked at the time were less than 5 inches or less. Hence, in my small pipe-world, I thought a new trend was developing and wanted to know why.

Yeah, so the real question was actually why small pipes? You folks answered that question very thoroughly and I was surprised about the depth of the possible reasons. Thank you for taking the time to share your insight and in giving me an educational lesson, I will be viewing the Forum more often from here on out.
Thanks for stopping back in. That’s pretty funny that all the pipes you bought happened to be the same size.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and wyfbane

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia

Welcome back @Big Head ,
It's very common for new members to pose a question and then disappear off into the ether, never to be seen again.

So it's very edifying to have you return and get your feedback.
Also nice to know you are now an enthusiastic member of the pipe community.

The members here are a nice bunch and very generous with their time and knowledge
I have found their advice very helpful over the years. And still do.

Hope you stay awhile

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Welcome back @Big Head ,
It's very common for new members to pose a question and then disappear off into the ether, never to be seen again.

So it's very edifying to have you return and get your feedback.
Also nice to know you are now an enthusiastic member of the pipe community.

The members here are a nice bunch and very generous with their time and knowledge
I have found their advice very helpful over the years. And still do.

Hope you stay awhile
Agreed with all above and out of the 3 boards I'm on i have to say this is the most friendly, easy going, less stick up the butt then any other board.

Reactions: Browny and OzPiper

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Since you're logged in as a member, why not keep us posted on your collection and observations on your experiences? What do you have so far?

As you may have noticed, Peterson has launched a new Junior Series of smaller pipes, I think all straight stem so far, but in various shapes. SP has a selection of them and is featuring them. They are about $78 apiece last I looked.

Savinelli's Rossi brand has a series called Piccolo that is entirely small pipes.

Reactions: Browny and OzPiper