PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Thank you, because that’s what I do and I was beginning to think maybe I’m doing something wrong. Seems to me - in my very short experience- it has more to do with the tobacco and the pipe than it does the method of packing.

Packing plays a role, as to it’s importance, many might simply look at the various styles as personal preferences.

3 Step Method

Gravity Fill

Frank Method

Air Pocket Method

Last edited:
Reactions: PiperCalvinist

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
A nice little compendium, but quite unnecessary! If the tobacco is at the right moisture for the cut, just load the pipe! Don't faff around! Unless, of course, you enjoy a simple process made longer.

Reactions: Choatecav

BrightDarkEyes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 16, 2024
Shuswap, British Columbia
Your observations are spot on and make perfect sense but remind me of a story my dad told me years ago that proves at least one exception.

When my dad was a young man, back in the early '60's, he worked with an older man who had gone through the great depression. The man would smoke a cigar down to a stub, then put the stub in a pipe. He would smoke it down in the pipe and then take what was remaining and put it between his lip and gum. Waste not, want not. This man could have afforded cigars, pipe tobacco, and chew but the depression had changed his outlook and I believe his frugality took the pleasure out of his habit. He was just scrounging for nicotine. I could be wrong, maybe he liked the taste of ashy dottle.

I am fortunate that I can afford all the tobacco I need and not worry about discarding a little unburned tobacco here and there.
This type of behaviour may find a resurgence in the United Kingdom.

Reactions: SmokingInTheWind