PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

sparker69

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 25, 2022
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
"Fumatori italiani!" Italian pipe smokers! I'm going to be visiting Italy this spring for a couple of weeks and am wondering about the regulations for smoking in Italy. I'm going be going from Milan, down through Tuscany, Rome and probably a short visit to Naples. I've heard that Milan is stricter for smoking outside. Can you smoke on terraces outside? How do people see it? Are they bothered by people smoking a pipe or a good toscano ammezzato? Thanks for the help and "buona fumata a tutti!"

briarblues

Can't Leave
Aug 3, 2017
sparker, the last time I was in Italy was 2019. Smoking indoors is not permitted. Smoking in hotels is again, not permitted. Outdoors it's hit and miss. Check your hotel listing to see what they have posted as far as a non smoking property. That will strongly suggest, not even on balconies.

When I was in Milan, I was having lunch, seated outdoors, and was permitted to smoke a pipe. Politely I asked those at tables close if they would mind and not a one said No. However .... I did get "nasty" looks from some walking past the patio. From their attire ( mainly running shoes ) they were tourists. Most locals in higher end areas dress well. Sneakers are not the norm.

I was at the Piazza directly in from of the Milan Cathedral.

Rome and Lake Como were similar. Outdoors and walking, no issues.

I am currently planning another trip over and see from hotel listings, many are now posting non smoking properties. YMMV

Have fun. Italy is amazing.

Mike

sparker69

Feb 25, 2022
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
When I was in Milan, I was having lunch, seated outdoors, and was permitted to smoke a pipe. Politely I asked those at tables close if they would mind and not a one said No. However .... I did get "nasty" looks from some walking past the patio. From their attire ( mainly running shoes ) they were tourists. Most locals in higher end areas dress well. Sneakers are not the norm.

Have fun. Italy is amazing.

Mike
I know when I was in Rome a few years ago there was no problem. I was smoking cigars at the time and for the "passeggiata", I would smoke a cigar as we walked around "to see and be seen". It was wonderful! I wasn't expecting to be able to smoke at the hotel and that's not really an issue for me. But if I was out in a public place - a piazza or something like that - if it would be a problem - and yes - how the locals took it. I had heard that Milan was a little more strict. I'm going to be buying some Italian cigars that I can't get in North America while I'm there too. And I want to try some Comune.
Wow - and you were right across from the cathedral? I'm going to try to hit some shops when I arrive. Have tickets to the opera that night at La Scala - won't be wearing sneakers there! I wore a pair of brown oxfords when I was in Rome - comfortable to walk in and I dressed up a bit more to "disguise" myself so as to not appear as a tourist. I like to see the tourist places - but it's the non-touristy places that I especially like - with the real people. And of course, drinking my espresso standing up at the counter like a true Italian!

briarblues

Can't Leave
Aug 3, 2017
The shopping area connected to the Piazza for the Milan Cathedral has a great pipe shop. It is Noli. Awesome selection of pipes. If you face the entrance of the Cathedral go left .... it will be straight ahead on your right.

Have fun. We'll be there in April.

Ciao

Mike

camaguey

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 25, 2021
west indies
with the Spain and Greece secundo
Yes , there are smoking restrictions in Spain but they are not enforced. Some months ago i was in Spain having an espresso in an outdoor table in a restaurant in Seville. I asked for an ashtray and the waiter told me it was not posible because smoking was not legally allowed there so they cannot put ashtrays on the table...he just told me to smoke in peace and throw the ash on the floor.

camaguey

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 25, 2021
west indies
When in Firenze, be sure to try the gelatti at Vivoli. You'll be happy that you did.
But before , have lunch at La Maremma , via Giuseppe Verdi next to Piazza Santa Croce. Try Carpaccio and Matricciana spaguetti. After that , go for the gelatto and finish with your pipe and ristretto on Cafe Sabatino in Via Faenza where you can smoke on the outside tavolas. Enjoy.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Yes , there are smoking restrictions in Spain but they are not enforced. Some months ago i was in Spain having an espresso in an outdoor table in a restaurant in Seville. I asked for an ashtray and the waiter told me it was not posible because smoking was not legally allowed there so they cannot put ashtrays on the table...he just told me to smoke in peace and throw the ash on the floor.
Yep, this sounds like Greece too. The smoking ban in Greece was first tried around 2011 or so, and totally failed. Then it was done again a few years later and managed to stick, however post covid it's a near free for all. If a check is made fines will be handed, and they can be steep, but checks are usually only if a customer specifically complains, or a rival shop sends an inspection to harm a competing business.

As a smoker I prefer there being a smoking ban indoors to be honest, makes everything so much nicer for everyone.

Reactions: Briar Tuck

ghingo

Lurker
Apr 5, 2020
Italy
Here in Italy we have an absolute ban on smoking indoors.
Outoors the choice to allow it is left to each business place...
Where italian legislation is particularly strict is on tobacco, which is a monopoly of the state.
You can buy tobacco only in authorized shops (tabaccheria) and both receiving and shipping tobacco by mail or other means is considered a criminal offense (contraband).

sparker69

Feb 25, 2022
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Here in Italy we have an absolute ban on smoking indoors.
Outoors the choice to allow it is left to each business place...
Where italian legislation is particularly strict is on tobacco, which is a monopoly of the state.
You can buy tobacco only in authorized shops (tabaccheria) and both receiving and shipping tobacco by mail or other means is considered a criminal offense (contraband).
Interesting! Can Italians buy tobacco online within the country or from other Euro members?
I'm looking forward to picking up some Italian cigars that I can't buy in Canada - we can only get MST. I want to try some Comune or Golf as well. I'm going to be trying to visit the Savinelli store when I'm in Milan and I have a few tabaccherie in mind when I finish my trip in Rome - Vanicelli and Papa. I think my question came from hearing that Milan was particularly strict for outdoor smoking.

ghingo

Lurker
Apr 5, 2020
Italy
No online tobacco buying in Italy (not even from inside the country or from inside the EU) ... you can only buy "physically" in state authorized shops.
Not far from Milan you have "Tabaccheria Dubini", it's located in Chiasso Switzerland but it is without doubt the best tobacco shop in the area ... and has cheaper prices! Take a look at its internet site...

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
No online tobacco buying in Italy (not even from inside the country or from inside the EU) ... you can only buy "physically" in state authorized shops.
Not far from Milan you have "Tabaccheria Dubini", it's located in Chiasso Switzerland but it is without doubt the best tobacco shop in the area ... and has cheaper prices! Take a look at its internet site...
As for ordering online the very same rule stands true for Finland, Poland and Spain

Reactions: sparker69