PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
I don't sip whiskey most of the time. Either it's a shot, or mixed with carbonated stuff, Diet Pepsi. I do enjoy Jameson Black Barrel as a sipping whiskey. Also find Teeling very sippable. What else's out there? Scottish single malts, I usually sip, only because I'm a cheap bastard. But more and more I drink Irish Whiskey, it grows on me. I know about Red Breast. What else's out there that's at good price point?

Lumbridge

(Pazuzu93)
Feb 16, 2020
Cascadia, U.S.
If we're talking cheap-cheap... I picked up some Ancient Age bourbon a while back, not half bad. Mostly using it to clean pipes with, but sipped some of it neat and on ice. Old Crow is alright, too. Evan Williams is a bit higher than those, but it would be my go-to.

Scotch I don't go TOO cheap on. Teacher's Highland Cream is my gold standard. The only bottom shelf, plastic jug scotch I've tried that wasn't unpleasant was Clan MacGregor.

I guess I have cheap taste. I usually prefer cheap whiskey, tobacco, and cobs. Might have something to do with growing up poor.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
My Irish is limited and mentioned above and I know that's what you asked about.

Having said that, when visiting some friends a few weeks ago I was given some Woodford Reserve Rye to sip after dinner and it was good enough I'm actually buying a bottle today, haha (had to message and ask what kind of Woodford they served me).

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
About five or six months ago I saw a unique Louisiana made American Whiskey and bought a bottle to try. I just opened my fourth bottle. It's J.T. Meleck 100% Rice Whiskey.

Meleck is unique because it is distilled and bottled at a family owned rice farm located maybe 10 miles north of I-10 in south Louisiana. The story is that the price of rice had dropped so far that the owner started looking for alternative uses for the rice instead of selling it at a loss. He decided to see if he could distill the rice.

In 2018, they released their 100% rice vodka. They also distilled the rice into a whiskey and aged it in American Oak barrels. The whiskey was first released in 2022 The whiskey is aged between four and five years.

It's bottled at 96 Proof and is smooth with a nose similar to vanilla cake, rice pudding & butterscotch. For a finish I get créme brulee.
Screenshot 2023-12-23 at 7.29.23 AM.png