PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
Hey guys and dolls,

Our old friend “Panhandler/rdavid”s estate has some Watch City blends in it. I’ve looked them up and have read some reviews on TR of course.

He’s got a few jars of it, and without digging through it I recall he has “Nor’Easter,” as well as a few others. I might just have to buy that Nor’Easter from his estate for myself judging by the TR reviews.

Anyway, seeking general input on Watch City. Their array of blends is totally new to me.

Thanks for any input :)

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
I like everything I have tried from Watch City. They got the Red Virginia back in today so I ordered another pound of it.

Good deal! I might just buy up the Watch City blends for my cellar. One thing is they’re jarred. Then again currently I don’t know if Watch City sells tins/bulks/both... I’m going to take a look-see.

stbruno70

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2013
Ernie is the master blender at Watch City, and he is always experimenting with new ideas. Since I live not far way, I have over the years seen his prototypes in 5 gallon buckets and watched him bring great mixes, infusions and presses to life. I really enjoy his blends.

Worknman

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 23, 2019
Ive tried their flake sampler which is about 6 different flakes. All taste very good but there's something about them that bites my tongue a little. Could just be user error since Im still learning this hobby. Its not just WCC blends either, for some reason other in house brands like LJ Peretti and Seattle Pipe Club do the same thing. I think it has something to do with the crumble cake type form they all come in, but Im not sure. Im a little prone to tongue bite already, especially red virginias and its possible they're getting their tobacco from the same source too, I don't know.

Reactions: diamondback

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
I’ve uncovered “City Slices,” “Crumb Cut,” & “Nor’Easter.” Looks to be ~4oz per jar. I’m likely buying these for my personal cellar given this thread and TR reviews.

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
I’m thinking my first bowl tomorrow morning just might be Nor’Easter. I used to pre-pack, but found my taste often changes after sleeping.

This’ll be my first WCC so the Nor’Easter is probably a lock.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
Nor'Easter's a little too aro for my taste. There's a topping there that doesn't agree with me. On the other hand, # 558 and Ahab's Comfort are the cat's meow. (Churchwarden is pretty damn good too).

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
Nor'Easter's a little too aro for my taste. There's a topping there that doesn't agree with me. On the other hand, # 558 and Ahab's Comfort are the cat's meow. (Churchwarden is pretty damn good too).

Oh! Yeah, I’m definitely not an aromatics guy. Hmm... this may change things. I’m back to TR to investigate.

Thanks for the heads-up!

tfdickson

Lifer
May 15, 2014
East End of Long Island
If I had to limit myself to one blender, Watch City would be at the top for consideration. Simply Red is a benchmark red VA; Rouxgaroux, 558, and Old Dominion are fantastic VaPers; Persian Slipper is great as an oriental forward blend. These are my favorites but a I’ve never had a Watch City blend that I didn’t at least appreciate on its own merits.

Status
Not open for further replies.