PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mikecronis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 5, 2021
1647815189467.png

Having tried Seattle Pipe Club's Plum Pudding and their Reserve and Bourbon versions, I dipped my toe into Mississippi River Special Reserve.

The SR version comes in a plug. Having schooled myself on plug-cutting like a torte-cake I cut down and rubbed it into tasty flakes and stuffed into a Mr. Brog Old Army #21 Pearwood with silver cap. Lit readily and coolly and stayed lit throughout.

There are significant differences between Plum and Mississippi, primarily that MR-SR is far more "fruity" taste where the Plums are more on the black licorice side from Latakia up-front. MR I noticed the Lat is pulled back a lot more, replaced with what seems to be dark molasses.

Strong plum-y taste and deep, rich fruitiness with heavy, damp wood flavor and an interesting Baskin Robbins' "Jamoca" Almond Fudge (coffee ice cream with chocolate-covered almonds) backdrop taste. Hint of cinnamon and vanilla creaminess off of what seems to be Cavendish but certainly isn't (according to the recipe). Could be the aging created this effect from the Virginia and settling while "cellar'ed". Molasses-drenched fruit-forward with a hint of BBQ tang.

No bite, low nic. Smooth and rich. Recommended.

Pleasantly melded and aged together in a very very good blend of taste that even an aromatic lover will enjoy thoroughly. Interesting complexity of tastes without any being demanding in a rich blend.

LudwigB88

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 4, 2023
I’m confused about all these different versions. MR has I believe four : original; bourbon aged; special reserve; and finally special reserve flake. I currently have the last one. It’s interesting. Almost too smooth. Recollects Penzance. Some have said they prefer the original. I don’t want to waste money trying each. Can somebody sum up the different iterations ?

Wyomingpiper

Lurker
Aug 1, 2021
Wyoming
View attachment 135303

Having tried Seattle Pipe Club's Plum Pudding and their Reserve and Bourbon versions, I dipped my toe into Mississippi River Special Reserve.

The SR version comes in a plug. Having schooled myself on plug-cutting like a torte-cake I cut down and rubbed it into tasty flakes and stuffed into a Mr. Brog Old Army #21 Pearwood with silver cap. Lit readily and coolly and stayed lit throughout.

There are significant differences between Plum and Mississippi, primarily that MR-SR is far more "fruity" taste where the Plums are more on the black licorice side from Latakia up-front. MR I noticed the Lat is pulled back a lot more, replaced with what seems to be dark molasses.

Strong plum-y taste and deep, rich fruitiness with heavy, damp wood flavor and an interesting Baskin Robbins' "Jamoca" Almond Fudge (coffee ice cream with chocolate-covered almonds) backdrop taste. Hint of cinnamon and vanilla creaminess off of what seems to be Cavendish but certainly isn't (according to the recipe). Could be the aging created this effect from the Virginia and settling while "cellar'ed". Molasses-drenched fruit-forward with a hint of BBQ tang.

No bite, low nic. Smooth and rich. Recommended.

Pleasantly melded and aged together in a very very good blend of taste that even an aromatic lover will enjoy thoroughly. Interesting complexity of tastes without any being demanding in a rich blend.
I much prefer this one to the PPSR, but definitely didn't get all the tasting notes you do.

To me the fancy Orientals they put in the Plum pudding special Reserve are the same ones used in the last cringle flake, and they don't taste good to me at all.

It's good that some people like that taste though.

Thanks for the review.

Reactions: Annaresti Red