PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

05venturer

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Amery,WI
I ordered a couple packs of these Balsa filter with my latest 4Noggins order and tried them out in my Medico Cavalier and Grabow Lark and I really like them compared to a paper filter, they don't really restrict the flow and suck up the moisture like a sponge. I will definately be ordering more of these.

Anyone else use these in Drugstore Pipes?

05venturer

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Amery,WI
05, FYI -- you can make your own Savinelli balsa filters and save a bunch of money.
Just keep one new Sav filter as a size reference and go to Hobby Lobby (or most any hobby store) and buy some balsa wood and an Xacto Knife. You can cut your own balsa wood filters.
That was going to be my plan Roth, I ordered up so I knew what I would be making. Great minds think alike! :lol:

bobpnm

Lifer
Jul 24, 2012
Panama City, Florida
05, I use them in my cobs and my Savs. Roth is right about making you own. I use them once and then toss them. No paper filter comes close for soaking up moisture and not flavor the way balsa does.

bphilli75

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2013
I use them in Savs and cobs also. Thanks for the make-your-own idea. I will be going to Hobby Lobby today.
Peace,

Bill

hfearly

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 11, 2012
Canada
I pretty much used them anywhere they fit, Savinellis, Cobs, Medicos, ...

LOVE the Balsa filter - makes for a much nicer smoke overall.

doctorthoss

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 6, 2011
I'm a big fan of the balsa filters, as well. I use them in Savs, Grabows and cobs. They greatly enhance the overall experience. Of course, I'm a complete heretic who also uses the Denicoate crystal filters in his pipes, too. I just find that certain types of filters really make my smokes a lot more enjoyable by reducing moisture and tongue bite while not really affecting the flavor.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Never would have come up with this on my own; thank you! It was a discovery that Grabow and Medico filters

were interchangeable, more or less, but this is better. I happen to have some balsa filters on hand, from a pipe

I traded, so I'll try it. This is a highly educational site. Or I'll make my own. Hmmm.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
To use them you just slide it into the stem. It'll stick out a bit, maybe half inch, but that will go into the shank. In the beginning I put the filter into the shank first and it ended up getting stuck. Had to stick it with a sewing needle to get it out. The key is to gently slide it in until it stops, so it doesn't constrict air flow.
I only use them in my Savinelli pipes. I don't notice any flavor difference and they do suck up a lot of moisture and tar. Usually I use them two or three times before discarding them.

Rincewind

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 4, 2014
I too have experimented with using them in my MM cobs and they work fantastic. What I have found though is that a whole balsa filter restricts the draw too much so I cut them in half and just stick the half piece (about half an inch) in the end of the stem. Works great and to remove it (the fit is a bit snug) just run your pipe cleaner down from the bit through the stem and it pops right out. They can be reused after drying but I have found it better to toss them after every smoke. I have not looked into getting the balsa at a hobby store and making my own but sounds like it would be much cheaper. Anyway, I too prefer them over the paper filters and as others have stated they don't affect the flavor, they just remove moisture and catch any stray ash headed toward your mouth. We can all agree that is a good thing!

mrmotoyoshi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 8, 2014
Motoyoshi, Japan
You all have officiall inspired me to try them. I got a pack of them when I ordered my Savinelli 320 but just kind of neglected them. Gonna try them tonight as I'm still breaking in the 320.

greatbrittn

Might Stick Around
May 21, 2014
Upstate, South Carolina
05, FYI -- you can make your own Savinelli balsa filters and save a bunch of money.
Just keep one new Sav filter as a size reference and go to Hobby Lobby (or most any hobby store) and buy some balsa wood and an Xacto Knife. You can cut your own balsa wood filters.
That's brilliant! I'll be doing that from now on.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Yeah, I've been using balsa filters for years, but not with all tobaccos. I like them best with aros, but have used them one in a while with lakeland tobaccos too. My all time favorite balsa filters are the Savinelli 9mm. It's a much different design, gives a bigger smoke, more flavor and absorbs far more moisture. They are a little more pricey, but I usually use them about 3 times, pressing the moisture out with a paper towel and drying them after each use. I only have one 9mm pipe though, a Chacom 2011 POY, and I love it. Large canted billiard with good size bowl. I have used the 6mm balsa filters in my Savinellis, cobs and other pipes that take them, and find they really do work better than the paper filters.

But I still have to admit, for me, that no filter is best about 80 percent of the time.

olewaylon

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2012
Ive used them before and while i don't mind terribly what it does to the smoking pleasure (on certain tobaccos i may even prefer the balsa filter) however I don't like how it cuts down on so much of the nicotine content. I know some people say they don't care about nic content of their tobacco, but for me its a small part of the enjoyment. There was a good article about this here not too long ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.