PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

starcat

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 24, 2013
This one was given high hopes. I was drawn to it naturally and also by some reviews I picked up elsewhere.

I found it unsatisfactory or rather borderline. I can smoke it but its not that enjoyable and also it will ghost a pipe heavily which can be corrected after one stops putting it in said pipe.

Decent aroma in the tin with some lighter colors showing in the mix.

Somewhat of a harsh and acrid smoke with a definite bitter aftertaste that hangs on all day and possibly further.

Although the Squadron Leader seems to come highly advised, it gives me pause after smoking this one.

No doubt some will like it.

dervis

Lifer
Jan 30, 2012
Hazel Green AL
What blends you do enjoy as it were. I will agree Skiff mixture left me wanting more. I happened to mix it 2 to 1 parts with Squadron Leader as I had several tins. Found the creation to be a very good smoke.

starcat

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 24, 2013
Dervis, I lean toward latakia or Balkan in the main.

Thanks for th tip.
SC

nachman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 27, 2013
Dunhill London Mixture is my favorite Balkan. IMHO, it is better than Penzance, et hoc genus.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I love Skiff Mixture and think its a great blend. I've never had a problem with it ghosting a pipe either. I like it more than Squadron Leader which I also think is a very nice tobacco.
As they say... to each their own, and for those that don't like it that just means more for me. :mrgreen:

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
nachman:
Forgive me, but I've got to disagree with categorizing Dunhill's London Mixture as a "Balkan." (But I'd also argue with calling Penzance -- which I love -- a Balkan.) London Mixture doesn't balance its ingredients the way a Balkan does. Balkans bring latakia and other orientals to the foreground and shift Virginias far into the background. The focus is on the amazing and unique interplay that can happen when you've got latakia and other orientals coming together. The Virginia is only a whisper in the overall discussion. (Two standouts in this category, for me, are G.L. Pease's Caravan and McClelland's Grand Orientals: Yenidje Highlander. Pease's Bohemian Scandal was superlative, but it's only available on the estate market now.) London Mixture -- at least the LM I've smoked (and I haven't tried the very latest incarnation) -- has a very solid Virginia and latakia presence, with a lesser emphasis placed on the spice from the non-latakia orientals.
Having said all that, don't get me wrong: I love Dunhill's London Mixture, and I'm glad to have some older stock in my cellar! But I'd encourage you to compare it to Caravan or Yenidje Highlander. I think you'll agree that it's a different style altogether.
In any case -- and whatever you call it -- enjoy!
Bob

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
metalheadycigarguy wrote:
"I love Skiff Mixture and think its a great blend."
Of course, we all have different tastes -- and even different perceptions of what we're tasting. But judging from the OP's comments, I'm wondering about his experience with oriental tobaccos. His use of "acrid" is exactly how I often describe oriental-forward blends that don't rely on the sweeter forms of oriental leaf. That doesn't mean he should like it! I'm just saying that he didn't realize the taste he was experiencing was due to the orientals in the blend.
"I've never had a problem with it ghosting a pipe either."
Nor I. And I'm not sure the OP did either; he said the ghosting can be "corrected" if you stop putting it in a pipe. If that's the case, then that's not "ghosting" as we typically use the word.
Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.