PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
I have a Rogers pipe knife that now has a floppy (not side-to-side) blade after falling from the table to the floor of the kitchen. The spring for the blade broke in half and the blade just flops around, it will open if you flick the body of the knife. Once open there's no tension to hold it in place it can be flicked back to closed. When closed it goes too far so that the nail mark for your fingernail to open the knife is buried behind the bolster. Is this an easy and inexpensive fix? It doesn't have a lot of sentimental value so it's not a repair at any cost situation. Recommended knife repairers are also appreciated.

TIA

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
So it's a slip joint style knife?
I'm sure there's many hobbyists who could repair it. I only know of one and he's kinda "high grade".

Look for slip joint or traditional pocket knife groups on FB - I bet you'll do well there.

PaulRVA

Lifer
May 29, 2023
“Tobacco Row “Richmond Virginia USA
The manufacturer would probably be the only place I could think of.
Knife makers who create folders are pretty limited but if you found one who could machine a new spring bar the cost would be more than you’d want to spend. Id see if you can return it to Rodgers for repair.

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
I've added some pictures, the break is enclosed in the yellow circle. So far my internet searches haven't discovered contact information for Rogers, I may inquire at SP to see if they can provide me a contact point.IMG-0703 Spring Break.jpgIMG-0702 Rogers Knife.jpg

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
To follow up on this I contacted Smoking Pipes and they said Eggington Group were now producing Rodgers Pipe Knifes. I sent an email to Eggington but so far have not heard back. Looks like this Rodgers Pipe Knife is going into the box of broken toys.

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
I've owned many folders over the years and have never had a spring break. I liked this pipe knife both for it's small size and the horn scales. I expected that a repair would be impossible or prohibitively expensive. Current pricing on a similar one is too rich for, I purchased this one for much less when it was on sale on a knife web site. Czech tool does the job.