PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Since buying my rice cooker a couple of weeks ago and mastered (almost) how it works I've been enjoying rice with several dishes I wouldn't normally have done.

Prior to having the rice cooker, the only rice I used was Tilda basmati, rinsed several times and always cooked with a little boullion (in place of salt) and a knob of butter. This week I tried a batch of jasmine rice for the first time and absolutely loved it, kind of like basmati with knobs on and so nice I can actually eat it just as is!

This got me looking on Amazon to save money by buying rice in bulk (5-10kg) but then I discovered there are myriad rice types to choose from, coconut rice being one that sounds like it might be nice, then there is Indian aromatic rice, Caribbean rice, Japanese koshihikari rice and many more that I've never heard of.

Considering rice is likely the most eaten grain in the world I'm pretty green on the subject so need some enlightenment so guys, bearing in mind I like basmati and love jasmine, what rice might you recommend I try?

Jay.

Kingsley

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 16, 2020
PA
A personal favourite is Koda Farm’s Sho-Chiku-Bai Superior Short Grain Sweet Rice. It’s a glutinous rice, it’s not actually sweet (at least, sweet doesn’t come to mind when eating it). The consistency and flavor is gorgeous to say the least. I have not found an application where it has not blown me away. I’d eat it unsalted, straight, anytime, anywhere.

Last edited: