Review of Garvey’s Balkan (and recommendation query)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

3 Fresh Sam Adebayo Pipes
72 Fresh Peterson Pipes
12 Fresh Claudio Cavicchi Pipes
6 Fresh Radice Pipes
3 Fresh Davide Iafisco Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Dr. Van Loafer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2022
Indiana
Recently I had the honor of visiting Jon’s Pipe Shop in Champaign Illinois purchasing their in-house balkan blend: Garvey’s Balkan. This is a blend with 40% white burley, latakia, virginia, etc. I love English and Balkan blends, but have not enjoyed Burley blends. Until I tried this Balkan. Spoiler alert - It is outstanding!

The tin note is sligtly sweet, buttery, nutty, and smoky. (Reminded me of the tin note from EMP Match by P&C). The bowl started off like most balkans, but around the 1/3 mark it was overwhelmingly smooth, creamy, cashew nut sweet, and just the right amount of punch from the latakia. Could not pull that much flavor from the virginias, but my palate has trouble tasting the virginia leaves. It was delicious and buttery and creamy and smooth in a way that other Burleys have not been for me.

It is the type of blend that has you tasting it for hours and smacking your lips as you wait for your next bowl.

This blend has made me rethink my tobacco cellar and acquisitions.

So my query to the community is what other burley blends are similar to this American Balkan?

Thanks!

Note - I had mistakenly posted this in the tobacco discussion forum, sorry!

Reactions: ch0mp

Tom-202

Lurker
Jun 23, 2023
Not sure how people can answer this query … for instance, I love Balkans but have not ever heard of Garvey. Your notes suggest that the burley is an important element. Some people view an ‘American’ blend as English with Burley, so perhaps Gentleman Caller, Dr. Bradley, Americana, or HGL. The best most of. us can do is say ‘this is like that but more or less of some part’ ….

Reactions: Dr. Van Loafer

ch0mp

Lurker
Apr 14, 2024
I just visited Jon's Pipe Shop the other day and tried Garvey's Balkan for the first time. I'll second what Dr. Van Loafer said - it's outstanding. It has instantly become my favorite blend. It's also unique. I've never had anything quite like it before, and can't recommend anything similar. I bought a full pound to bring home with me.

Reactions: Dr. Van Loafer

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Many house blends are renamed bulk blends often from Sutliff, Lane, and Stokkebye.