PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
OK. It's not even 2024 and we have two meerschaum threads on coloring going at once and I haven't even had my first mug of coffee yet! I'll take @Chasing Embers for $100 that this is going to turn into an amazing discussion of how and what you do to color your pipe. I thought we had settled the 'Coloring Bowl' stuff ages ago when both of us went to extreme lengths to demonstrate and recreate the 19th century approach with a silver washer and a tobacco plug as a substitute for the silver 'three penny' piece. Coloring bowls work but sort of turn your pipe into a calabash, whatever you do, unless you wallop the pipe with a heat gun you are going to wind up with a pipe that colors down the stem first. The trick is to even out the stem color and that's down to the moisture level in the pipe. If you are a wet smoker like me then you will get that very predictable 'Turd Brown' color, if you dry your tobacco then you will in all probability wind up with a lighter shade of coloring but the hypothesis seems to be proven by the less savage colors @Chasing Embers gets on his pipes verses my results. I have seen other results on here that are awesome and are just down to smoking the pipe. As they say YMMV!

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
Most of my meers have done the usual stem first coloring. That's why I did the coloring bowl experiment, to see if I could even out the coloring.

A side benefit to go with the even coloring is the calabash effect.

A coloring bowl definitely does what it's supposed to. It doesn't speed up the coloring, it evens it out. The best way to speed up coloring is to smoke the pipe more often.

Reactions: TheWhale13
Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
If someone knows how to keep a Meerschaum pure white while still smoking it, i’m all ears.
As you know, all meerschaum pipes will color. At what rate depends on the pipe itself, how often you smoke it, and the type of tobacco you smoke in it.

I have found by accident, when re-waxing some of my meerschaums, that you can basically bleach the colors out of your pipe by over-heating it. After applying a new coat of wax, I used a heat gun to melt the excess wax before wiping it down. On one particular pipe I got it to hot, and it removed a lot of the color unfortunately. It wasn't completely white like new, but it did remove a lot of the color, and it took a lot of bowls to regain that previous color. I don't recommend this process though.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
As you know, all meerschaum pipes will color. At what rate depends on the pipe itself, how often you smoke it, and the type of tobacco you smoke in it.

I have found by accident, when re-waxing some of my meerschaums, that you can basically bleach the colors out of your pipe by over-heating it. After applying a new coat of wax, I used a heat gun to melt the excess wax before wiping it down. On one particular pipe I got it to hot, and it removed a lot of the color unfortunately. It wasn't completely white like new, but it did remove a lot of the color, and it took a lot of bowls to regain that previous color. I don't recommend this process though.
Smoking one with natural brown wax will turn them white.

il_794xN.4856176827_daiu-1.jpg20231015_114601.jpg20231015_114542.jpg

• Love
Reactions: pipenschmoeker123
Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Reactions: Chasing Embers

Brhumbus

Lurker
Dec 26, 2023
Northern Nevada
OK. It's not even 2024 and we have two meerschaum threads on coloring going at once and I haven't even had my first mug of coffee yet! I'll take @Chasing Embers for $100 that this is going to turn into an amazing discussion of how and what you do to color your pipe. I thought we had settled the 'Coloring Bowl' stuff ages ago when both of us went to extreme lengths to demonstrate and recreate the 19th century approach with a silver washer and a tobacco plug as a substitute for the silver 'three penny' piece. Coloring bowls work but sort of turn your pipe into a calabash, whatever you do, unless you wallop the pipe with a heat gun you are going to wind up with a pipe that colors down the stem first. The trick is to even out the stem color and that's down to the moisture level in the pipe. If you are a wet smoker like me then you will get that very predictable 'Turd Brown' color, if you dry your tobacco then you will in all probability wind up with a lighter shade of coloring but the hypothesis seems to be proven by the less savage colors @Chasing Embers gets on his pipes verses my results. I have seen other results on here that are awesome and are just down to smoking the pipe. As they say YMMV!
I originally posted, not because I was interested in the process of coloring or it's speed, but because I was afraid I had inadvertently damaged my pipe.

On that note, I tried the Hot water trick (I'm not sure where I read about it) and that brought the color to the surface of the pipe and the color has yet to recede. So, like a lot of you kind folks pointed out, the pipe is not damaged from my sanding treatment but will likely take longer to color because of the reduced thickness of the walls, which I'm fine with.

Reactions: seanv