Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

gord

Might Stick Around
My favorite Orientals are Sunday Picnic and Oriental Silk, both by C&D. But if possible you might want to look for blending Orientals? Get a real taste of them in their own or adding them to other more mild blends to get a taste of how they play with other leaves

Without Latakia - C&D Bijou and Sunday Picnic

With Latakia - LJ Peretti Tashkent

I'm about to place an order, and I'd like to investigate Orientals. I know very little about them, and in practical respects (ie smoking), nothing. The order will consist of a tin of Pirate Kake, my first cake tobacco and I'm told I will love it, and I want to add two Orientals, one mild and one bold.

These would be my introduction to the genre, so nothing esoteric or hard to get. Thanks to all. The majority will rule as to my selection.

gord

Might Stick Around
Well, I'm all set to go . . . . this time around. FYI, for the past year or so, I've investigated mainline tobaccos, and found that I am partial to English and some aromatics. Now it seems I'm about to enter an oriental phase. All of your suggestions have been noted and will be investigated as much as I'm able. My first order (I can only get three per order - budget) will consist of Pirate Kake, plus two orientals, Steamworks and Sunday Picnic. These tobacco seemed to crop up with regularity.

This will begin my Oriental Phase. I've had one other before, as way of an anecdote. When I was taking my Bachelors' degree in Violin Performance, my favored accompanist and lady was a beautiful Chinese Canadian named Denise. When I began my Master's Degree, she wisely dumped me because she recognized I would ruin her life. I often wonder where she is now, and pray the best for her but she made the right decision. God Bless you Denise.

In the meantime, I begin another journey investigating oriental mystique, and I am looking forward to the results. Next order will be in another month or so when the old pension cheques come in again. I can hardly wait to investigate more of your suggestions. Thanks to one and all!

Last edited:

Skippy B. Coyote

Can't Leave
Jun 19, 2023
St. Paul, MN
I'll toss in another recommendation for Presbyterian Mixture! It's the most Oriental forward English blend I've had, and it's barely an English since the amount of Latakia in it is almost unnoticeable. Just think of it as a mix of Virginia and especially spicy Orientals.

Reactions: vosBghos and gord

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I'll toss in another recommendation for Presbyterian Mixture! It's the most Oriental forward English blend I've had, and it's barely an English since the amount of Latakia in it is almost unnoticeable. Just think of it as a mix of Virginia and especially spicy Orientals.
That one is and odd blend. Some claim little Latakia, some can only taste the Latakia. I consider it a lat bomb.

Skippy B. Coyote

Can't Leave
Jun 19, 2023
St. Paul, MN
That one is and odd blend. Some claim little Latakia, some can only taste the Latakia. I consider it a lat bomb.

Presbyterian does seem to draw a lot of mixed opinions! If I had to venture a guess at what's going on I think a lot of people's palates mistake the particular varieties of extra spicy Orientals used in Presbyterian for Latakia, since Latakia is just a smoke cured Oriental, and the Orientals in Presbyterian are spicy enough on their own to not need any smoke curing in order to pack the bold flavor punch of Latakia.

Reactions: gord

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Presbyterian does seem to draw a lot of mixed opinions! If I had to venture a guess at what's going on I think a lot of people's palates mistake the particular varieties of extra spicy Orientals used in Presbyterian for Latakia, since Latakia is just a smoke cured Oriental, and the Orientals in Presbyterian are spicy enough on their own to not need any smoke curing in order to pack the bold flavor punch of Latakia.
When smoking Orientals now I smoke them straight and I'd mistake none of them for Latakia. The oriental Smyrna used to make much of Latakia is even mild compared to what it gets turned into.

supdog

Can't Leave
Nov 10, 2012

gord

Might Stick Around
So, in two separate orders I have ordered 2 tins of Sunday Picnic (due to enthusiasm of recommendation), 1 tin of Steamworks, 1 can of Pirate Cake, and 2 tins of Mad Fiddler.

That'll be enough for a while. Next on the list (again due to the enthusiasm of the recommenders) is Presbyterian Mixture and Oriental Silk. I'll go on from there with others when it's all in and smoked. Interested to try Orientals straight as well. See Y'all around the forum!

Reactions: RookieGuy80