PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

towhee89

Might Stick Around
Sep 28, 2021
Morganton, North Carolina
Hi all, I have a Dr. Grabow Westbrook Dublin just like this (Except it has a softer stem) but I wasn't aware until I saw these photos online you could actually remove the stinger. I know you can't on say, a Kaywoodie (of which I recently bought 2 estates) but I would love to try to remove this one. It looks as if it slides in and out, but mine's stuck. Any tips on getting it out without damaging it? I wouldn't mind a more open draw on this pipe, it is a little choked (and I don't even mind the stingers, I do keep them but since these are removable why not) thanks guys

01717_9gms8XsWB6Ez_0pO0pO_1200x900.jpg

00T0T_50XyalMbzvGz_0pO0pO_1200x900.jpg

Reactions: Scottmi

Piping Abe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 27, 2021
Georgia, USA
2 options. Try and heat the area and see if it loosens the gunk. Use a lighter or tea light

What works for me is to pour some alcohol in a shot glass and let the stinger sit in the alcohol submerged as much as you can. Wait an hour and pull with some pliers.

You can always stick a pipe cleaner through the stem, coming out of the stinger so it’ll wick up the alcohol through the stinger.

theloniousmonkfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2017
Heat the stinger with a lighter, grab it with a paper towel or rag and twist/pull out. Takes like ten/twenty seconds.

towhee89

Might Stick Around
Sep 28, 2021
Morganton, North Carolina
Thanks guys, I tried heating it and no luck yet. It might need a good soak. I mean, I don't mind leaving it on if I have to but with this Dublin shape the draw is a little too restricted at the top of bowls especially. But I can see the gunk and tar in between it, so I'll have to work on it.

Reactions: Esrafel